• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for very slim tank/glass box

aec34

I’m trying to find a very slim tank or glass box for a window sill for wabi kusa/emersed growth.

The absolute max depth of the window sill is only 14 cm, but realistically that’ll mean something only about 10 cm front to back. I’ve plenty of width and height to play with.

Can anyone suggest brands who might do something this slim? Or someone who might make one bespoke this small?

DOOA neo don’t go small enough. I’m peering at eBay but suitable vases so far are very thick and chunky, and ideally not what I’m after.

Thanks both, it hadn’t even occurred to me to do it myself. I did have a play with small acrylic tanks last year, but from YouTube it looks like silicon is much more forgiving on getting a decent finish.
Think I’ve got some greenhouse window glass outside.

Thanks both, it hadn’t even occurred to me to do it myself. I did have a play with small acrylic tanks last year, but from YouTube it looks like silicon is much more forgiving on getting a decent finish.
Think I’ve got some greenhouse window glass outside.
Yeah I’d agree that silicone is better. I made a small pico tank from acrylic and it’s really nice but you can see the welding.

Greenhouse window glass is certainly not as strong as tempered glass, and this could make all the difference if you need to move it safely, stack books on top, or if it gets hit by like a chair or ladder or something. In the event of a fire, you can stand on a tempered glass tank in order to climb out of a window. It also has a bevelled edge which is essential so that you don't cut yourself. But I'm not going to put you off because greenhouse gas might well be strong enough since the rectangle is quite small. My experience is that silicone is very demanding because it is easy to get bubbles and missed contact, and if you get it on the glass sides it can leave a smear mark that is rather hard to remove. Saying that, it is a skill that is hugely beneficial. You can design custom tank sizes to go on every window in your house, you can reseal old tanks, you can design sumps, specific stacked systems for invertebrates, planted trickle filters etc. If you done acrylic, then it's another challenge. Either sounds good to me.

I did wonder if greenhouse glass (which is 3mm) would be strong enough, but one of those online calculators suggests it would be ok - and I’m only planning to keep a small depth of water in it.
I’m also all in favour of reusing materials, and I reckon there’s about 12 big panes in the garden, so plenty of scope for practice. 👍

I'm afraid 3mm might not make the cut... You need some proper thickness to get a sufficiently strong bond (glass to glass) at the seams. Aquarium calculators only regard a static water pressure force and neglect other unforeseen additional forces.

Such as plant roots and while they grow and have nowhere else to go can rip a silicone seam apart.

In my case, the calculator came up with 4mm and I made it as such. As you can see in the above-posted thread. The Cyperus ripped the tank apart with its roots pushing against the glass. :) If I had to make it again I would use 6mm instead and still wouldn't plant such a Cyperus sp. again.

I solved it by glueing 30x30mm aluminium corner profiles to it to give the corners extra strength. 4mm glass to glass connections ain't that strong after all.

Thanks @zozo - this is useful intel; I’ll still have a play with the 3mm before buying something thicker.

Last edited:
Thanks @zozo - this is useful intel; I’ll still have a play with the 3mm before buying something thicker.

Why not... :) It's always best to practice with scraps... You can always reinforce it at the corners with for example wooden corner profiles and put the tank on a wooden base and give it a nice varnish and create a lovely looking piece of windowsill furniture. :) At Aliexpress or eBay they offer small Jewellery box corner feet for a few quit to give a finishing touch.
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002418783378.html?

I'm going to be picking one of these up for holding plants, growing on small fry. Looks like it's 13cm deep but might be a smaller volume than you wanted.

Ah let me know how you get on with it: 13cm is pushing the limits of my windowsill, but might be an option if I end up covered in silicone and disappointment! It’s only going to be for plants, so volume not a worry. Silicone should arrive soon. Exciting times.

I got the Disney Princess tank from Pets at Home afew years back for the granddaughter barely 8" wide so fits any windowsill. It's been in every room of the house . Ideal for little planted set ups. Took the stickers off OC disposed of lid and if needed put small nano light on.

I made one of these to similar dimensions for a window sill years ago. It’s still sat in my bathroom with plants. Go for it. Really satisfying to make and gets lots of comments from visitors

I used to make lots of these randomly sized tanks with glazier glass. You can go to a local glazier and they will cut it to size and smooth the edges for you. I had a friend who fitted windows and we used the old glass, which I think was 6mm from memory. It's easy to cut but the thinner width you go the harder it is to get neat silicon work.

Well, it’s not beautiful and in places is mostly silicon - but for the sake of completeness I’ve made a thing. And it is watertight. It was an absolute swine breaking the glass neatly. Bit of scavenged mahogany underneath tarts it up well!
69B231F5-AEA2-44C4-8792-561ABCF9BD37.jpeg

Back