• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for Planting

Hey all, I have not posted much here about my tank as when I joined it was on the decline. I have since drained and removed the gunk and cleaned my driftwood of bba and the softer outer shell to reveal the harder surface. I’m ready to replant but before I do, I’m open to suggestions on what plants to use and where. I’m looking to do a triangular effect from left to right. The front is purely cosmetic sand, and dark areas either with aquasoil or cracks in the rock are open for planting. I encourage any and all suggestions of what could work and look best, thank you in advance.

Ignore the large rock on top of the wood, strictly for assisting with clamping down the glue.
5D0FA676-33E2-4302-A879-A2DAA54863A7.jpeg
E9287176-22F9-4914-A1FA-5E840D1E6DF4.jpeg
B71122A9-D1C1-4EAD-B103-C7AC1462B154.jpeg

I really enjoy your scape! I’m digging the stream bed look, if it were my call, I wouldn’t use aquasoil and barely plant it to replicate hillstream habitat. However, it is your tank! Are you aiming for this tank to be high maintenance with stems? Or are you looking for some easier to maintain plants? If you’re looking for stems, I’d recommend from left to right: Ludwigia arcuata x repens, Limnophila aromatica ‘mini’, Rotala ‘h’ra’, Rotala ‘green’, Lobelia cardinalis, Staurogyne repens. If you’re looking for less maintenance, I’d recommend (from left to right again): Cryptocoryne balansae, Corkscrew Valisneria, dwarf lily, Cryptocoryne retrospiralis, Cryptocoryne spiralis ‘red’ or ‘tiger’, and Sagittaria subulata. For the rocks, I’d insert some bucephalandra species. In the foreground, I recommend planting some dwarf Eleocharis species sparsely for a natural effect. I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoy your scape!

I really appreciate the reply! Haha well I spent the money on planting supplies so that’s what’s going to happen here! Excellent suggestions thank you, this tank has plenty of ferts, light, and CO2 so I prefer stems. I do like crypts as well and was hoping to incorporate them with stems. I really like Buce but they are so awfully pricey for what you get, I was intending on incorporating them with Anubias in the rocks.

Okay perfect! If I had that info from the start, I would’ve been able to give a better response haha! I’m personally not a fan of Anubias but some types can look nice! I recommend picking a majority of green stems with a couple red species to add focal points. Obviously all stems are similar in structure so it’s more on you to look at the types available and decide on which leaf shapes and growing patterns you like. If you do add crypts, I recommend adding them first so they can grow out a bit and get taller before they’re shaded out by the stems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back