• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for goldfish resistant plants

MrRich

Hi everyone. I'll be upsizing from a 60l to a 180l tank soon so I'll need to get a load of new plants to help fill the space. I'm hoping you'll be able to suggest a few interesting possibilities.

Currently I've got bucephalandras theia, theia red, green velvet and biblis. Anubias angustifolia, heterophylla and bonsai. Crypt petchii. Hygrophila pinnatifida. Crinum calamistratum. Schismatoglottis prietoi. I basically buy interesting looking plants when I see them. I'm not really going to be creating a scape like most of the contributors here do but I will be trying to get a bit more structure with the extra room available.

As there will be goldfish in the tank the plants will need to be tough and not too tasty. Everything currently is glued to hardscape rather than planted and I'll probably stick with this technique.

The light will be what comes with the aquarium so nothing special. I've got a small co2 setup (I'm trying to give the plants an advantage over algae), I use TNC lite (40ppm nitrates in the tap water) and the tank isn't heated. Water pH is approx 7.5 without the co2, 7.2 with.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I have goldfish, and will keep an eye on this. My goldfish tanks have valis, hornwart, elodea, anubias, and a few other stem type, I don't have a lot of time for maintenance & these survive well when they are left floating.
I have always found once they get to about 2" they turn into mini JCBs and start digging and their digging skills improve with size exponentially.
I've never had problems with them eating plants, just if I miss the odd feed they rescape the tank for me leaving lots of plants floating around. I'm sure they dream there is a ribeye steak somewhere under the gravel.
I like the sound of gluing them down. I know some breeders don't plant their tanks and instead grow thick algae.

One of mine is just a vandal. She's ok most of the time but after they've been fed she goes on a feeding frenzy, hoovering up then spitting out the gravel and chomping on anything that will fit in her mouth. She's been stripping the leaves from one of my bucephalandras but I think it's survived. And she helps keep the bba under control.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't normally recommend common duckweed but apparently goldfish love eating it ,so they might not be as destructive to the tank plants

Back