• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestion of plants with this light ?

RoXSaida

Seedling
Hello ! First of all Happy new year to everyone !

I'm launching a new tank of 40L and I want to create my first real aquascape, but my budget is not enought to buy a good light, and I saw on the internet a lot of beautiful aquarium using led bulb light.
I bought one (Full spectrum, 6500K, 500L, 7W) with that I think I will be a lot limited in my choice of plant so this is why I came here, do anyone here can suggest me some plants that can grow with this light or a suggestion of a style etc... ?

Hi and welcome, aquatic plants are quite tolerant of low light, it is hight light that more often causes problems.
What really makes plants flourish in an aquarium is C02 and it is the levels of C02 that really defines the amount of light we use to get a good balance.
It might be best to read as much as you can about “low tech” tanks befor you buy any plants.
As regards the light, you will have to find out for yourself but I am sure it will be a good starting point, don’t have it on for to long, maybe start with 6 hours a day and see what happens.
Just read as much as you can as the more you understand the easier it will be to grow a successful tank.

Thanks you ! I'm gonna do some research on "low tech" so. About the co2 I heard that if you're light is pretty low co2 is useless/won't work is that true ?

No not true, all plants need CO2, in the air we have around 400 ppm of C02 in our tanks all we can manage is around 30ppm. In a low tech tank there are only tiny amounts of C02 available so you don’t need much light.
Even in low light conditions C02 will be beneficial for the plants, I don’t know just how low the light would have to be before C02 becomes useless.
Plants tend to grow very slowly in a low tech tank and much faster in C02 enriched tanks.
Some folk have beautiful low tech tanks, it just takes time.....

You can find clues if you look up the easy plants on the Tropica website.
All growing plants use CO2 as part or their metabolism. it''s just slow growing plants can do with using the CO2 that is available in the tank without adding extra CO2, faster growing plants ( due to extra light) need extra CO2 added to cope with the amount of light/growth.
Also all plants need food, to little food will hurt, to much food far less ( repeat after me: fertilisation DOES NOT cause algae). So adding a light dose of ferts is also needed in low tech tanks ( while a lot of ferts are needed in high tech tanks)

Alright thanks you guys ! I'm trying to create some sketch for my tank and I was thinking about a simple paludarium. I was inspired by this tank :
1546403849-paludarium.png

Back