• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sucker cups frustrating me😠

After doing my weekly water change this week the sucker cups on the filter won’t stick to the glass (20 litre nano cube with dennerle eckfilter) the filter is only 3 months old. I’ve cleaned the glass, cleaned the suckers, tried to attach when dry, when wet, when under water, I think I’ve tried every way and they stay stuck for a little while then undo. It’s driving me insane!! At the moment the filter is just hanging there by the cable, although still doing it’s job just fine🤔shall I just leave it like that??
I’d be grateful for any suggestions please.🙏🙏

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 176
I’ve been having exactly the same problem with the exact same kit - I’ve found just pushing it back into place every time it has come unstuck has finally paid off.
A bit annoying, but I’m sure my moss monster has benefited from an accidental blast clean

So annoying! Thats why im trying to figure out how I can go HOB Filter?? Clean the glass really well, whilst doing that remove them suckers and put them in a cup of tea freshly made minus the tea bag and milk. It revives them although they still annoy the hell out of me. Good luck

Hi @matthewwoodgate

Yes, it's so frustrating. I started to experiment with using magnets. I bonded a stainless steel washer onto the sucker(s) using silicone sealant. Then, I used a magnet on the outside of the tank to hold the sucker in place. The principle works but I never refined it to the point at which I was happy with it. It was the first time I'd ever worked with neodymium magnets, which are very powerful - even the small ones. And, I mean - powerful! They also chip fairly easily. So, they need to be handled with a lot of care. One of these days, I'll return to this project. I can't claim originality for the idea as some manufacturers are already using magnets to hold aquarium equipment in place. For example, Eheim and Sicce on some streaming pumps. And, JBL on internal filters.

JPC

Hi all,
Then, I used a magnet on the outside of the tank to hold the sucker in place. The principle works but I never refined it to the point at which I was happy with it. It was the first time I'd ever worked with neodymium magnets, which are very powerful - even the small ones. And, I mean - powerful!
Have you (or anyone else) tried ceramic magnets?
the filter won’t stick to the glass (20 litre nano cube with dennerle eckfilter) the filter is only 3 months old.
Could you use <"stainless steel hooks?">.

cheers Darrel

No, Darrel, not for this specific purpose. I chose neodymium magnets because they can be very small, yet very powerful. But, as I said before, they are not easy to work with. For example, I dropped one and, rather than fall to the floor, it veered off and attached itself to a nearby central heating radiator! And, it wasn't easy to remove. I wouldn't want to work with one of these that's much more than a couple of centimetres in diameter. No wonder they come with warnings from the manufacturers!

JPC

I got bored of my powerhead coming off, followed by going for a swim around the tank itself.

A blob of silicone behind the the sucker itself makes for a semi permanent solution.

I am suprised more internals are not supplied with a back cradle. I know thats with suckers but you can remove the filter without hassle for maintanance. The fluval U series have one and with biological filtration . Like the fact you can adjust flow for substrate level and the motor is at the bottom of filter. Downside l/per hour is not as stated l guess and others have said can look a bit ugly in the tank

I've just bought some ceramic magnets to create a moss wall. They're not the strongest so I think I'll double up the ceramic magnets in the tank and use some others (possibly neodymium) that I have lying around on the outside as they're not safe to put in water.

Back