• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate for planters?

KAB28

Long story short. I have a Discus tank (400 litres) with Discus & Corys & Tetra. It has run for a year. The substrate is a shallow layer of sand. it has no plants.
I would like tp pot 2-3 slate planters (30x10x8 cm) in the tank to grow some aquarium greenery (Vallis/ Amaxon Swords). I am not so keen on anubias.
I have a planted tank with ADA Amazonia & I know it leached ammonia +++ when it was added to the tank. I am uncertain what substrate would be best to put in my planters as I cannot afford to have such a large ammonia surge with my fish already in situ.
The tanks has x2 Oase Biomaster Thermo filters running and is very stable. There is no CO2.
What would you advise as the most suitable substrate to use, minimising ammonia surges but optimising plant growth?
I assume adding one planter every few weeks would be best to minimise water column changes? Or am I over-estimating the impact a few planters in the tanks will have?
Thanks in advance.

Back