• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate for Heminathus (HC)

Notator

Hiya, I'm planning a new 'scape and I'd like to have a "bay" carpeted by Heminathus.
The bulk of my substrate currently is moler clay (courtesy of Bonsai shop just down my road!)

I'm after recommendations for something finer to "hold" this pesky HC, and suggestions on the depth
of whatever finer substrate you guys recommend...

Hope you can help, thanks...

Thanks for that - makes perfect sense...
Any suggestions on what depth of it I would need on top of my clay please?

And at the risk of being even more cheeky...any suggestions on suitable brands/names I could look for?

Thanks,
Jerry

You don't really need clay beneath the soil, just add fertilizers daily and CO2 (required) to your tank.
Regarding the depth, if you use some fine tweezers to plant it, at least 1" will do, you can go for more if you make a slope. Anyway it can grow in less, actually in my tank it developed also where the soil (fine sand) is less than 1/4" deep, you can see that in my journal. :)
Regarding the quartz brand you can choose any if you like the color/texture, none are better than others in regard of plant growth.

????????????????
!

Thanks very much, most helpful!
Jerry

Back