• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stupid is as stupid does

Re: Stupid is as stupid does ( blasted filters)

foxfish said:
Yep, I reckon there are more than a few of us who have had the odd mishap :lol:
Had a second hand five foot aquarium break upstairs and have to admit that caused a slight leak or two :oops:

Thinking now that the FX5 was playing up for a couple of days before I noticed it as I have BBA on some of the plants but thankfully seems to be dying off most of the plants but not on the Anubias. There are two Anubias plants at the centre back of the tank, one Coffeefolia that had broke the main plant( it measured about eight inches but now is closer to twelve) and the other Anubias I can't remember the species :crazy: ,think it's afzelii/congensis but I'm probably miles out roughly fourteen to sixteen inches long, very slow growing compared to the other Anubias species with longer slimmer leaves. Both these plants are covered in BBA but the other Anubias' are fine (probably as they are at the edge of the tank, well away from the light)
I have taken both plants out of the tank and put them in tank with a strong solution of Easycarbo but wondering is this the best solution? Also think the tank looks better without the Coffeefolia so will give this to another fish keeper but really want to hold on to the 'afzellii'. Wondering would it be better to move the light unit over one half of the tank and moving the all the Anubias to the other side. The Morpho tetras seem to love the Anubias to hide in so want to keep the plants for them. At the moment I have no algae eaters in the tank so hopefully soon will remedy this but some Angels took over cleaning duties (maybe, maybe they want to breed :p ) It's embarrassing the state of the Madagascar leaves but shows the Angels at 'cleaning duty'
th_002-23.jpg
This was just after the FX5 went and they cleaned the leaf back free of algae nearly completely.Click on the picture to get the video running.The next video is with the plants removed which I think looks more interesting but will have re arrange the wood as it looks odd.
th_011-20.jpg
Thanks for looking and even more so if you have advice about the Anubias

I had put the Anubias plants into a two foot tank but they melted :crazy: , I had never checked that I plugged in the heater so I assume that was the problem. Really annoyed with myself as they just fitted into the tank size wise. I don't mind so much the 'Coffeefolia' as that was a piece that broke of the main plant (plus I had promised it to Joe (bogman)) but the 'Congensis' was a lovely big plant about four years old but there seems to be new growth from the stem so hopefully I can salvage something.

Been I while since I posted but still reading posts and thought I share the newest video of my tank and it's inhabitants if anyone likes to see it

Having had some scary electric bills recently I've decided to change lights in the house to LED's, switch off appliances rather than put them on standby but still the bills were too high so knocked two thirds of the lights off over the tank and removed one of the external filters (there was three plus the 5' sump) and there is a couple of internal filters that will have to go. But looking into the tank reminded me sometimes money must take a back seat because of the sheer enjoyment my fishy friends bring me like the interaction between some newly acquired kribs and by long standing male Baenschi who although smaller shows attitude is everything!!!!! Maybe I will go back to E.I dosing and CO2 just gotta get a second job to pay for the lights :(
Apistogramma baenschi chasing of a pair of kribs - YouTube

Having had some scary electric bills recently I've decided to change lights in the house to LED's, switch off appliances rather than put them on standby but still the bills were too high so knocked two thirds of the lights off over the tank and removed one of the external filters (there was three plus the 5' sump) and there is a couple of internal filters that will have to go. But looking into the tank reminded me sometimes money must take a back seat because of the sheer enjoyment my fishy friends bring me like the interaction between some newly acquired kribs and by long standing male Baenschi who although smaller shows attitude is everything!!!!! Maybe I will go back to E.I dosing and CO2 just gotta get a second job to pay for the lights :(
Apistogramma baenschi chasing of a pair of kribs - YouTube
I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but led would be a bit cheaper. Why don't you use powerheads instead of external filters for flow may I ask ? Also have the heating on the lowest setting possible for your fish, as this would probably be the biggest cost.

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but led would be a bit cheaper. Why don't you use powerheads instead of external filters for flow may I ask ? Also have the heating on the lowest setting possible for your fish, as this would probably be the biggest cost.
Hi mate and thanks for the reply, regarding powerheads there are two Tunze models one seemingly does 12,000 litres a hour and the smaller smaller one I'm not sure. The external filters originally used to drive homemade CO2 reactors but now are just used as filtration. As regards LED lights the running costs would certainly come down but the initial costs are prohibitive to say the least for a eight foot tank. Was looking at second hand units (Kessil amazon AW 150) but would need four and costs are still too high.
Another quick question if I may is to fix a blunder I made, the point of my previous post was sometimes our fish give us pleasure that makes the cost worthwhile and then show the video to back this up but I made a mess of this and instead of a picture of the video like the post above this one and wondering if I could edit it
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WO919A6PhlE

Would you consider DIY Led's? You could pull it off for less than £100 for a dimmable 500w fixture I think. I still think 600w of LED light is major overkill, You'd be better off with multiple smaller wattage Led's.

Would 500w of a led light be a overkill? All my T5's are 'only 480 watts' and that's too much but in my ignorance I probably got it wrong! I'm a member of a fish club here in Ireland ( if you're not I would suggest joining one because of the benefits such as plant swaps and fish that are passed on, either fry or unwanted fish plus sometimes we order wild fish ( last lot came from Peru))Some of the lads have made the lights for their marine tanks these way so will chat with them tonight about this. Regards the Kessil lights the '150 w' refers to the MH light they are designed to replace, if this is what the 500w refers to, my apologies !! But I do think you're on to something with DIY led lights I just got to probe deeper
Cheers
Dave

Not really sure about buying fish from that far away?! Also ukaps does plenty of swapping and trading :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Hi Jack, swapping and trading is a little awkward as many UK members would prefer to deal with someone in the same country and I wouldn't blame them as shipping is very costly plus things are easily broken in the post.
Regards fish from far off countries, here in Ireland we do not have the same luxuries regarding fish shops, the nearest to me being over 30 miles away and the good ones well over a hundred miles so as a club it makes more sense doing it this way, you have more choice of unusual wild caught fish such as apistogramma species or even common species like Cardinals at a fraction of the cost they would cost in a shop. Of course there are the shipping costs, VAT and vet bills on top but still considerably easier on the members pockets. It's the same as what the shops do unless they buy from a supplier, you just cutting out on the middle men. Of course they are no guarantees everything will arrive safely and there are usually some losses ( but not very many on the whole) but the shops run the same risks just that they usually cover their losses on the price of the remaining fish.

Back