• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stupid is as stupid does

Re: Stupid is as stupid does(plus as tight as tight can be)

awtong said:
The Angels are looking great!

Andy
Thanks Andy, I must admit I'm as pleased as punch especially as they coloured up now :D
sanj said:
Nice project, if you can get hold of all these fish especially if rare and wild caught, you want to start breeding them. :)

Just a thought, shouldnt this whole thread be moved into the Journals section?
Crazy thing is when I want to breed fish it's like they stick up two fingers at me yet when I have no expectations then I'm greeted with eggs.
It should probably be moved to Journal section but I didn't start this thread with the thought of it being a journal so do apologize
Dave
P.S. Fish pics coming in a few minutes, just need to sort them out :crazy:

Re: Stupid is as stupid does ( New Fish)

Back again, please note this is going to be picture heavy , sorry
051-3.jpg

049-5.jpg

041-5.jpg

047-2.jpg

039-4.jpg

036-2.jpg

033-9.jpg

032-7.jpg

Maybe that was too many pics of the leopoldi, good job I say no to Altums :rolleyes: Though in fairness don't think I would ever go with Altums as it is too much of a risk
020-8.jpg

Male baenschi
019-11.jpg

Male Inirida
046-2.jpg

Morpho tetra hiding in the plants

007-15.jpg

A different Morpho
005-15.jpg

Female baenschi
I can't catch the corys in a photo as they are all over the place, I never seen such active corys. Here is a quick video of some. Click on this picture to see them 'play'
th_026-7.jpg
So sorry for all the photos but I took loads

Don't apologise for all the photos they loaded just fine, and as they say an image is worth a thousand words (or something like that), and infinitely preferable in my opinion. Its shaping up well.

Hi all,
Lovely tank and some of my favourite fish. I don't think the female Apistogramma is A. baenschi they have vertical stripes, she is either A. cacatuoides (or A. "schwarzkin"?). The male baenschilooks OK, and so does the A. iniridae (good find). A77 is "Apistogramma cf. eunotus (Rio Huallaga)", so would be reasonably easy to keep.

cheers Darrel

Troi said:
Don't apologise for all the photos they loaded just fine, and as they say an image is worth a thousand words (or something like that), and infinitely preferable in my opinion. Its shaping up well.
Many thanks for your kind words and I'm such a chatter box once I get going, pictures are definitely
preferable :wink
awtong said:
What water parameters are you keeping the Leopoldi in? Is it tap water or RO?

Andy
Hi Andy, water is treated tap water, PH is in between 6.5 and 7. Leopoldi are quite resilient like the more common angels but unlike the agile Altums and they seem to colour up a little more each day. Initially I was a little concerned that they might have a go at the cardinals and morpho tetra but they seem as good as gold.

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Lovely tank and some of my favourite fish. I don't think the female Apistogramma is A. baenschi they have vertical stripes, she is either A. cacatuoides (or A. "schwarzkin"?). The male baenschilooks OK, and so does the A. iniridae (good find). A77 is "Apistogramma cf. eunotus (Rio Huallaga)", so would be reasonably easy to keep.

cheers Darrel
You are so right about the female apisto it IS cacatuoides not baenschi as I stated, I have pictures of the female baenschi but posted the wrong picture :oops: At the moment the baenschi are guarding fry and are giving the other apistos a hard time. Regarding the A77 he wouldn't let any go, I did try but I was promised fry if they had any. The Apistogramma iniridae pair cost me €10 (just over £8 ) so was very happy with them. He also had the most amazing looking apistogramma agassizi (from different collection points so there were differences between them) but again he wasn't selling. I will try to find the picture of the female baenschi ( these are F1 not wilds) and the male cockatoo (wild)
Thanks all for your input ,truly appreciated
Dave

I was tempted to try some Leopoldi but thought my pH of around 7.0-7.2 might be a little high. That's why I went for the wild Scalare as I thought they would be a little more tolerant.

You have got me wondering now if they might have been ok .....

Andy

Hi Andy, I did google a plenty before even considering getting these and although they seem the rarest of the three known angels they are pretty robust and can take similar conditions that the scalare can. Post a picture of your wild angels if you don't mind I would love to see them. If the scalare are happy you should have no problems with leopoldi if you get them.

and a few I missed out (picture wise)
017-9.jpg

055-2.jpg

The male cockatoo cichlid

014-9.jpg

Baenschi showing the female sheep'shead acara who is the boss

th_007-17.jpg
Baenschi doing their thing :wideyed: You must click on the picture for the video to run

Not wishing to hijack your thread but thought I would try and share a couple of pics with you. Apologies for the photo's I don't have a great camera and my photography skills are non-existant!

100_0778.jpg

100_0775.jpg

Andy

Well Andy, they are certainly eye candy, I wouldn't apologize for them . How old are they? Think this is the way good angels should look rather than the colour morphs etc that seems to be doing the rounds in our LFS's at the moment. Has anyone here got Altums in their planted tank?

They certainly are lovely thanks for the compliment, and I agree with you about the natural look. That's why we travelled over an hour to a store to get them when I could have bought the ususal LFS type from 20 minutes away and for about 1/5th the price.

They are very young at the moment about the size of a 2p coin in the body, I have had them since November (Christmas pressie from the wife! :thumbup: ). They have taken a while to settle as I had a 3 stripe male that had a fin span of over 25cm but I lost him recently and since then these guys have come out of the shadows, grown a little and put on better colouration.

There is a journal on here called Tony's Triassic Hollow that has Altum Angels in it. I suggest you check it out they look incredible!

Andy

Just read the seventeen pages in Tony's Triasic Hollow and what beautiful Altums and even more beautiful tank . Inspirational reading :D

Just a quick update on the tank,got the solenoid for the CO2 and then of course ran out of ferts :rolleyes: Added some more Cardinals but have at least 40 or so waiting to go in, I had kept them out until they grew somewhat or they might end up as Angel food. The tank underneath is now empty of fish so hopefully next few days off it will be turned into a sump and the pipe work completed
th_042-5.jpg
Just click on the pic to get the video working and please add input where things can be improved (such as removing discoloured leaves :oops: ) as this is my first 'planted tank' and hopefully it will be a success. Thanks for your time
Dave

Had a problem Tuesday night (Feb 14th) as the FX5 was making a grating noise and no flow what so ever. Emptied the filter and cleaned the sponges and media (despite doing it a few days earlier), put everything back and ....nothing. At this stage a romantic night was well and truly over so again emptied the filter and checked the bottom of it and had to use a screwdriver to prise loose bits of filter media and Java fern from groves and 'holes' in the filter. Put back together and still nothing but that infernal noise.Emptied again and this time I unscrewed the motor unit and sure enough the impeller is blocked with bits of media from the filter so armed with the same screw driver freed the impeller, put everything back together, filled the filter and water started to pour out of the bottom. Again removed the filter and opened the motor unit and saw I disturbed the O ring so fixed that and put everything back together and fired up the filter only to have more flow from a air driven sponge filter plus the noise of a Honda 50 struggling up a hill. It was now 11o' clock so took the blasted filter apart again, off with the motor unit and noticed that I hadn't aligned two bits of plastic together, did that and everything back and hey presto, magic. Filter working perfectly but the kitchen was covered in water, bits of filter media, tools etc so did the honourable thing and left it until the morning thinking I get some early and fix it then. Course I slept in but the tidy up fairies came and sorted everything up though my wife seemed strangely offish that morning ;)
Filter now working perfectly and I think I could take one apart and put it back together in minutes but maybe not working perfectly.

Re: Stupid is as stupid does ( blasted filters)

Happy valentines day!!!

Re: Stupid is as stupid does ( blasted filters)

I experienced exactly this with a second hand Fx5 once. My main error was upon going to take it apart the second time I didn't shut off the hose valves and had 450l of back pressure leaking into my living room at 11pm. The wife was not so impressed go figure!

Back