• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stupid is as stupid does

Re: Stupid is as stupid does

Here goes, proof the tank came in ( plus my inability to keep things organised)
After moving the smaller tanks to their new home then it was the turn of the 5' tank. First out were the plants who were 'sheltered' in a plastic box after being hauled out of the tank
010-13.jpg

Then Derek used some tank water to keep them going before catching the fish, here also you will see my idea of tidying up is put it in a bag and toss it on the fridge
015-5.jpg

The stand is in but wondering where it is going to go :lol: Not really, at this stage I decided I was going to use the 5' tank as a sump and we were wondering how to get it into the stand
022-8.jpg

That done we're gone to get the tank while Derek stayed back to admire the stand, he has a gift in avoiding work
025-1.jpg

Here the tank is in place and Joe (Bogman on this forum) uses new mop heads to soak up the rain water. You can tell Joe is a fish keeper by his T-shirt
029-3.jpg

In this picture you can tell Joe has had enough of us laughing so it's time we got him the ladder
031-6.jpg

No sooner than that's done Joe is inside the tank cleaning, what a trooper :clap:
032-4.jpg

Some Anubias awaiting it's new home, this is after I broke about 8" off
004-14.jpg

I leave it at that now before I bore you senseless, next will be the laughable attempt at planting it especially when it dawned on me I can't reach the bottom of the tank :oops:

Alastair said:
Hoooge tank. I wish I had space for something that big. Subscribed :0)
Cheers Alastair, it is quite big, the sides are 12mm and the bottom 15mm plus 8mm braces all around but the worse is the 8mm, 18 inch wide brace bang on the centre of the tank which combined with the height of the tank makes everything arkward :crazy:
Sorry about the late update but I was at a medieval wedding in a 11th century castle in Galway which while great craic took up alot of time but better late than never, I hope. With the planting I had great trouble as already mentioned I couldn't reach the bottom of the tank until I found a 10" tweezers for feeding reptiles, though after each plant I had to jump down from the ladder to make sure it looked okay.So here goes.......
The Madagascar plant took a hiding while in storage
010-14.jpg

Here you can see that central brace holding up the light unit
007-11.jpg

Some corkscrew willow that has been pre soaked along with some bog wood
011-17.jpg

Here is the ladder that saved my sanity
001-25.jpg

Here is where I left it after the first night planting, there is a right snow storm going on in there
002-18.jpg

Here you can see the bogwood stump it's about 18" front to back, likewise side to side and nearly the same height
008-17.jpg

Some of the spare (broken) bits of Anubias in their new home
006-11.jpg

The killing thing is after all this I didn't like the tank so changed it again so I'm curious whether you will approve of the changes I made or still think it looks rubbish. In hindsight I should have had a extra pair of eyes to help as I didn't always have a look myself as it was too much hassle at the time to keep getting off the ladder :oops:

Here are some of the updates in the tank, I moved the Coffeefolia away from the glass on the left as you look at it
010-15.jpg

Added another piece of bogwood, this being over four foot long and weighing a absolute ton, in fact when I was putting it into the tank I nearly head first in until I left it drop.I have a large rock on it to keep it and smaller pieces from moving as I didn't think I would be using this piece so it was no longer soaking
225.jpg

Although I moved the Madagascar behind the willow I left the Crinum in front of another 'stump' but have since moved it as I found it distracting
230.jpg

Slightly different view,please ignore the rock on the wood as it only had a temporary job as as a weight
227.jpg

What I feel is still the weakest part of the tank
228.jpg

One of the new inhabitants, a wild caught apistogramma cacatuoides surveying his new home
th_030-7.jpg
Just click on the picture to get it to play
A pair of apistogramma baenschi also taking a look
042-1.jpg

Some of the plants thickening up
004-16.jpg

The 'stumps' brought closer together
008-18.jpg

Hiding amongst the plants
014-7.jpg

The cockatoo cichlid feeling at home
062-1.jpg

More pics, sorry but please do say what I should move, change, replace
012-13.jpg

026-4.jpg

029-4.jpg

Please do say where I should change or strenghten the 'design' as this is my first attempt at trying to 'scape a tank and feel I need a little guidance just to keep me on the straight and narrow

Thanks Alastair, you're heading for sainthood with that little white fib but thanks for building my confidence

have enjoyed the pictures I've been looking at my big tank recently thinking I want to have a bash in there but had no idea's due to it size.

how did you end up filtering it in the end sump or normal externals its not quite clear from your pictures (or I'm blind)

tanks really taking shape mate looks quiet natural . what did you go for in the end with regards to substrate?

Alastair said:
T'wasnt a fib I was being serious lol
Thanks Alastair, means a lot
hinch said:
have enjoyed the pictures I've been looking at my big tank recently thinking I want to have a bash in there but had no idea's due to it size.

how did you end up filtering it in the end sump or normal externals its not quite clear from your pictures (or I'm blind)
Don't hold back on the big tank as it is a very enjoyable learning curve despites difficulties encountered. Filtration at the moment is a number of externals while I try to finish the pipework to the sump (plus the fact there's a number of cichlids in the tank that is to become the sump), thanks hinch
danmil3s said:
tanks really taking shape mate looks quiet natural . what did you go for in the end with regards to substrate?
Hi mate, regards the substrate I used kiln dried Silica sand (100 kgs) plus 20 kgs of John Innes No 2 compost underneath. Thanks for kind words

Re: Stupid is as stupid does( work comes to a standstill)

Decided to post up to date photos today as I had changed a couple of things over the past week or so. Out comes the camera and away I click then spotted something that is going to stop me putting my hands in the tanks. More of what that was later, first the pics........
See if you notice small changes :rolleyes:
017-10.jpg

Am really going to have to sort the light unit
018-9.jpg

Here you can see the mess of filter hoses etc.
019-10.jpg

A little more detail
020-7.jpg

This is where the problem lies
021-3.jpg

Just pull back a little
022-9.jpg

Last and probably least down the side of the tank
024-4.jpg

Wondering can anyone guess the cause of my stopping work inside the tank for a while?

Yep, was at the tank when I saw the 'patter' of ..................errrrrrrrr little fins. Mother apistogramma baenschi was out guarding her pride and joy plus chasing any fish that came too close for comfort,caught it on the i-phone but you will have to fill the screen with the video as they are quite small, just look at the top of the stone to see them. Probably a good thing really as it will make me leave the tank alone for a little while and stop fidgeting with it. Just click on the picture to get it to work
th_028-6.jpg
Forgive the noise I live in the house with too many girls :shh:

Nice little video...always really nice to see this kind of thing....well done :thumbup:

thanks for the info mate. I might re scape my tank next year, year after if I actual grow something in my small tank. This time i plan on planing the plans, and getting it right So all information is vital. thanks for sharing your expectancies mate.

Mother and babies are still doing fine, she has gone a brilliant yellow with black stripes, black pelvic fins with red on the outside edge.She seems to open them when she wants the babies to come to her if they strayed too far or if she wants them to move en masse.At least it keeps my hands out of the tank and leave things settle and grow for awhile.Dad also is acting in a very protective manner but higher up so he can fend other fish off far earlier, all I can say is 'Wow, he can certainly move' as he chases Cardinals or whatever out of his terrority

you have done a real nice job on your setup there.

Sad news I afraid, couldn't see any babies today and parents are not acting aggressive so fairly sure they're gone. Hopefully they will attempt it again

Was going to clean the glass of the aquarium because of spilt macro mix (the white lines running down the glass as the aquarium is above my head and I'm clumpsy :oops: )Of course the fish thought it was dinner time so I thought I catch a video as the fish will be changed soon due to the arrival of six leopoldi angels in January.Still haven't touch the tank as the Baenschi are back at it again but i don't think you see in the video.Forgive the mess but I worked the last two weeks solid so W/C tomorrow
th_010-17.jpg
Click on the pic to get it to work

Back