• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Struggling to get co2 correct.

Deano3

Hi everyone, i currently have aquascaper 900 with oase biomaster 850 and cannt seem to get the co2 correct, on a morning it is a light colour not yellow a light green ish i am going to try different drop checker solution(however when put in yesterday it was normal dark then went lime green), my co2 used to come on 4 hours early but trying to change to come on only 2 hours early but goes yellow hours before photo period finishes.

The pic shows drop checker this morning during water change, want to get right as getting slight bba on leaves etc and no pearling, my light is twinstar 900s and at 75 percent.

I am not back to work so cant adjust for few days, i dont think gassing off properly over night. The bubble rate is uncountable.

Any tips or hints or recommendations
Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20211201_101105.jpg
    20211201_101105.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 353
Do you have or could you invest in a PH pen. This would allow you to complete hourly measurements and better understand what is going on with your Co2. Drop checkers are great but show a delayed reaction so I think more difficult if just using a drop checker as guidance. Others may be able to advise more on how to do that.

I'm using Oase BioMaster 850 on Oase StyleLine 175 (160L) and Yidao external CO2 reactor. To be honest I feel like filter flow is not enough for this reactor but I might be wrong. I can get 1.1 PH drop by the lights on (lime green drop checker) if I start CO2 injection 4 hours before lights come on. The concentration stays stable during whole photo period and at the end of it the drop checker is still lime green which suggests my timing and injection rate are correct. I don't think I can dissolve more CO2 due to filter flow.

If yours is getting yellow at the end of photo period this means you rate is too high. If your drop checker is not lime green by the time when lights go on it means you start injection too late.

Another possible thing is that the place where your drop checker sits has poor circulation.

Hi everyone, i currently have aquascaper 900 with oase biomaster 850 and cannt seem to get the co2 correct, on a morning it is a light colour not yellow a light green ish i am going to try different drop checker solution(however when put in yesterday it was normal dark then went lime green), my co2 used to come on 4 hours early but trying to change to come on only 2 hours early but goes yellow hours before photo period finishes.

The pic shows drop checker this morning during water change, want to get right as getting slight bba on leaves etc and no pearling, my light is twinstar 900s and at 75 percent.

I am not back to work so cant adjust for few days, i dont think gassing off properly over night. The bubble rate is uncountable.

Thanks dean

Do you have plenty of surface agitation going on Dean? If you're getting a good green drop checker at lights on, but going yellow by lights off, its an indication you don't have enough surface gas exchange and the CO2 just keeps building up. Similarly if your drop check is that light green in the morning before the current days gas comes on, it suggests insufficient gas exchange. That said, even with good surface agitation, I've never had CO2 off-gas fully overnight, at best my drop checker goes back to dark green.

The pic shows drop checker this morning during water change
This kind of pearlescent whitish colour doesn't look right to me. Best is a commercially prepared ready-to-use drop checker solution. Lots of good choices in this regard. Can I ask which drop checker solution was used in the picture you posted?

This kind of pearlescent whitish colour doesn't look right to me. Best is a commercially prepared ready-to-use drop checker solution. Lots of good choices in this regard. Can I ask which drop checker solution was used in the picture you posted?

I thought the same, looks like mine when I drop it in the tank and it dilutes with the water.

It is co2 art drop checker solution, thanks for all the help guys also that is my thinking looks like diluted but was dark blue when added, i need to check over a week as hard when doing water changes as not the normal water state.

I will try a different solution also and @Wookii i agree its not gassing off fully , will try a new solution and try getting nice lime green at lights on and take readings and go from there. Will have to wait till i am next off, will keep younall posted.

Thanks dean

I would move the drop checker to a different location and see what difference that makes. Also, try a different solution if you are worried about it.

Thanks dean
From the pic it looks like your drop checker is weak.

I'm using Oase BioMaster 850 on Oase StyleLine 175 (160L) and Yidao external CO2 reactor. To be honest I feel like filter flow is not enough for this reactor but I might be wrong. I can get 1.1 PH drop by the lights on (lime green drop checker) if I start CO2 injection 4 hours before lights come on. The concentration stays stable during whole photo period and at the end of it the drop checker is still lime green which suggests my timing and injection rate are correct. I don't think I can dissolve more CO2 due to filter flow.
I doubt that the real issue is the CO2 dissolution inside the reactor. The efficiency of a CO2 reactor should increase in inverse proportion to the water flow since the longer the water remains inside the reactor the higher the CO2 dissolution. Reactors also become noisy when operated with high flow rates. Of course, the overall efficiency of the reactor depends on its design and there also are other variables at play besides flow in gas dissolution. But I would guess that your root problem is not the CO2 dissolution but <not enough surface agitation> or insufficient water circulation inside the tank.

that colour for dropchecker is not right, it looks like water gets mixed with it, i dont know if dropcheckers can contain a leak.
+1 Either the drop checker bromothymol solution is off or it got mixed with the tank's water. That colour is not right.

Thanks dean
Hi Dean,

I have a 900 and am running on an 850 oase. I have run into CO2 and other issues. I’ve tried to DM you but have been unable to.

Back