• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Struggling to clean filters

BarryH

In my three shrimp only tanks I use the standard round filters attached to the Aquael Mini Pat powerhead and I always struggle to get all the muck out of the filters which naturally slows the flow down. Does anyone have any ideas for getting the filters really clean at all please?

At the minute, I remove the filters from the powerhead and squeeze them in buckets of water dosed with Prime. Even after squeezing the filters for 10 to 15 minutes, I can still see muck on the surface of the filter as I put them back into the tanks. All filters seem to be in good condition probably less than six months old. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,
Darrel, Tom, thanks for the help, I'll give the cold tap a try.
I think a lot of the dire warnings about chlorine (Cl2) <"come from the USA">, where they don't have any effective environmental legislation and the water companies can put 10x more chlorine in the water, rather than actually attempting to supply water that is fit to drink.

cheers Darrel

I find that easy way to get muck out of sponges is water in bucket, wet the sponge then keep taping against side of the bucket or sink ect., keep doing this until you happy with results, if you use sink make sure wife is far away ;)

Back