• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stream loses its flow speed

Augusta

Hi

Have noticed a little problem I wonder if any of you guys can help with.

Over the winter months I've only run my pond pump (to push water up to the start of my little stream) for about 4 hours a day.

As it's finally warming up, and some blanket weed is appearing I've treated the pond and now running it non stop.

However, after about 3 days I've noticed the flow drops down to a trickle. If I switch it off for an hour or so, the flow returns to normal once back on.

I run it off a timer now and have it going off at 1-4am each morning.

What I'd like to know is, is this a normal performance issue with pumps? Is there anything else I could do to maintain a nice steady flow?

There are no blockages and my pump is a Pontec PondoMax Eco 11000

Thanks for any help

Seeing the pump design, than a trapped air bubble seems very unlikely.. Your description of what happens and there is absolutely no blockage an overheating problem maybe? Have you ever checked the impeller for wear. Maybe it should be cleaned.. I have no idea how these pumps are constructed internaly. But if it runs ok for 3 days and than slows down and needs a resting period to start up properly also could be an electronic error something like a leaking capacitor overheating or even a damaged coil or just simple the thermal protector in error.

I once had such an issue with a pump shutting down and start running again erraticaly stopping for seconds, minutes or even for hours. Never found the problem, was no longer in warrenty so i just replaced it. Still kept it for spare parts, if i power it on it runs, but i never know for how long. I suspect an overheating or electronic problem.

Reading this
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1221136/Pontec-Pondomax-Eco-1500.html#manual

There aint much you can do, a faulty motor is trashed and can't be repaired, these are permanently sealed.

The only options you have is check the impeler and impeler bearings.. The bearings might be cloged or worn out causing an overheating and the thermal protector to kick in or start to stutter. Than maybe installing a new impeler is needed..

Back