• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Strange seed like particles appearing in my cube.

Sarpijk

Hi, I have had a maidenhair fern for around two years growing on top of my 30 litre low tech cube housing shrimp.

Lately I have noticed some strange like particles collection in the pre filter sponge of my filter.

I suspect that the fern is to blame. It has doubled in size and I see new fronts emerging from the base all the time. I believe that possibly the particles I see are probably seeds.

I have included some pics of the plant, the base and the strange new growth and also a not so clear pic of the particles on the filter.

Cheers
Steve
befe25cfef8ca58cb5c43f430b0bd337.jpg
5a77d757c1315c781691e0d5bcb2ff1c.jpg
be111364dd1bbed41442e6fc24ef7a3d.jpg
118b5eda9cab7bd655a9c67b4cb3df46.jpg

Hi all,
Your fern is doing well.
Looks like it may be the covers of the spore cases.
I think they may be these as well, technically they are called the indusium, and they cover the sori, which produce the spores.
Hi, Well I don't see much of a difference as in Greek "σπόρος"(spore) is literally translated as seed!
The botanical difference is the state of ploidy, fern spores are haploid (n) and fertilzation has to occur before the sporophyte diploid (2n) generation can grow.

The spore germinates to form a prothallus, which then bears the antheridia and archegonia.

fernlifecycle-gif.gif

With seeds the fertilization has already occurred, during pollination, and they are diploid (2n).
The green bodies are probably gemmae, they don't like the growing sporophyte from the fertilised prothallus. Gemmae are vegetative (diploid) propagules produced by some higher plants, bryophytes and ferns.

I couldn't find out if Adiantum spp. form gemmae, but the curled look of the top one on the right definitely looks like a fern.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel,

How could the pollination occur in my house? Also why is it that only now, after two years, I start to see these spores?
I should mention that I have actually two plants, I have cut part of the rhizome from the first one and I have placed it opposite the other. The one with the green growth is the small one. The one with the new leaves unfolding is the mother plant.

Hi all,
Thanks Darrel,

How could the pollination occur in my house? Also why is it that only now, after two years, I start to see these spores?
I should mention that I have actually two plants, I have cut part of the rhizome from the first one and I have placed it opposite the other. The one with the green growth is the small one. The one with the new leaves unfolding is the mother plant.
The plant has just reached sexual maturity and started producing spores. Because the new plant is a division I think that makes it much more likely that the green growths are gemmae from the division of your existing plant.

I get fern prothalli grew in all my houseplants which are kept moist, they look like liverworts, but eventually a new sporophyte (the fern) will grow. Fern and moss spores are like pollen, they are everywhere in the air.

Cheers Darrel

Back