• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Strange Discus Behaviour

George Burnett

Seedling
Hi, everyone I'm new to this forum. It was recommended to me by someone at a recent show I attended.
I have always wanted to keep discus so went out and purchased a pair of red turquoise. These are particually young fish as I wanted to watch them grow. They are being housed in a 180l tank along with Amazon swords, Cryptocoryne and Java fern plants. Along with a clown pleco, 14 cardinal tetras and 10 lemon tetras.

The more colourful or the two seems the stalk other and then bite just underneath its gills. This fish is reluctant to come to the front of the aquarium when food is on offer.

Just wondering if you would have any tips to solve this.

Thanks, George Burnett

Pics of video of tank will help....

Discus r bred n bought up these days in bare bottom tanks .... So they may need some time to get used to in planted tanks....

Also discus prefer in group...so ill suggest to keep 4 or more ..so they will feel secure....

They will take time to adjust n take food ....

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

They are sorting out their "pecking" (excuse the pun) order. Discus need groups of at least 6 to thrive. 2 young fish in a 180L tank is not going to work out well.

Up your numbers... But don't cross contaminate

Remember that they are cichlids and will fight and bicker
As with most cichlids groups work better so that any aggression is dispersed amongst the group and not all directed at one individual as it is now

Buy more Discus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok thanks all for your help I will look at purchasing 2 more from the same retailer.

Back