• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stopping tannins

andy

Any ideas on how to stop bogwood and it's reletives from releasing tannins. I know some people like the blackwater look or use carbon to remove it from the water column, but i'd like to know if it's possible to stop it being released in the first place without soaking it for donkey's years.

I've heard painting the wood with polyurethene varnish could do the trick but the wood would need to be glued to the base of the aquarium before it's set up.

Any help would be most welcome

Andy

andy said:
I've heard painting the wood with polyurethene varnish could do the trick but the wood would need to be glued to the base of the aquarium before it's set up.
Any Plec would never forgive you!

Soak in hot/boiling water for a week or 2 before you put it in the tank (replace with fresh hot water daily, twice daily to start off with) This will get rid of the worst and the rest shouldn't be too noticeable, especially not if you're doing large weekly water changes as it wont have a chance to build up.

IMO carbon, loads of WCs and maybe purigen but i'm not 100% on the last one.
I wouldn't suggest painting it, IMO it would loose it's natural affect.

I didn't think about the plec thing...i do plan having a few small plecs and a queen arboresque would probably be one of them !!!.

I'll give it the boiling water treatment for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Dan...what are "WC's" and purigen ?

Thanks guys

Andy

I've just read the product description for purigen, it's meant to remove nitrites and nitrates too... doesn't exactly sound ideal for a planted tank :?

Egmel said:
I've just read the product description for purigen, it's meant to remove nitrites and nitrates too... doesn't exactly sound ideal for a planted tank :?

Au contraire! :D

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=69

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
Egmel said:

Au contraire! :D

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=69

Dave.
Thanks Dave, that's a really interesting thread. Maybe we should suggest that AE changes their blurb on purigen to reflect the fact that it wont filter out all our carefully added fertilisers. :)

It might also be worth them adding that it shouldn't be used with nutrafin aquaplus since that's the de-chlorinator I was recommended on TFF when I started fishkeeping.

Back