• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking suggestions for 60cm shallow please!

I looked after a really tannin stained discus tank and in it was about a hundred cardinals. It was hard to see more than 8-10 inches into the tank because it was so stained but the cardinals really shined and we had so many sales off the back of it. I stuck a group of black neons in there as well and they started to sell quickly as well. There is something about a fish that naturally lives in these conditions that just brings out the best in the fish, so dwarf rasboras in your setup would be a nice addition if you don't mind something that's not in your face all the time. I would perhaps pair them with a dario for some extra interest.

I certainly don't mind fish that aren't in my face, but it would be nice to be able to see them from the sofa! Would they work with the sparkling gourami as they're from the same neck of the woods? On SF it says the Dario sp. inhabit clear water, so not sure if they'd be as happy in the murk...
It's so hard!

If your picture is accurate to how dark the tannins are in the tank then I think it would be fine for dario/badis. I've seen them, although not kept them, in tanks with darker water and they all seemed very happy. Luckily there are plenty of members on here that have kept them, so I think others will hopefully be able to give you a definite.

The little gourami are pretty shy as well and the combination with rasbora has been done enough to show it works. They aren't always the easiest fish to keep however because of conspecific aggression and initial acclimation. They are nice little fish if things go well though, so don't let me put you off.

I would definitely be doing chili rasbora, any I've kept didn't jump, (I think they're not known jumpers either?)

As mentioned by Mort, the blackwater will basically accentuate their colouration and you'll see them as nature intended.

I'd be tempted to start with the sparklers ad let them settle, and see if they breed. They are quite easy to breed and I've brought up 3 generations. Then add in a dither. As @mort says, Sparklers are feisty and can be sensitive, but they are lovely fish. They definitely like hiding places and use them. They have a habit of hunting every evening, at the surface.

I looked after a really tannin stained discus tank and in it was about a hundred cardinals. It was hard to see more than 8-10 inches into the tank because it was so stained but the cardinals really shined and we had so many sales off the back of it. I stuck a group of black neons in there as well and they started to sell quickly as well. There is something about a fish that naturally lives in these conditions that just brings out the best in the fish, so dwarf rasboras in your setup would be a nice addition if you don't mind something that's not in your face all the time. I would perhaps pair them with a dario for some extra interest.
Can I guess the store you worked in now? 😅

One of them probably but don't hold it against me;) It was a chapter I'm glad is over.
In 2005 I was a teenager, humble, adhd, and keen! I didn’t have any strong opinions on LFS back then, just preference.

I think 2004 The Giant Pet Store and 2009 Highway Nursery were peak LFS. Was over the moon when my folks took me to the latter, and I gave TGPS almost all my paper round money for years, if you worked there you’d likely remember me 😅😬☺️

Thanks for all the advice and ideas, I've been thrown a curve ball inasmuch as out of my 4 Betta imbellis, I've landed with 3 males and 1 female :eek: so they are now spread through all my tanks, rendering gourami or anything not a peaceful fish out of the question. One male couldn't even tolerate the female with him and has taken up residence in the rear corner of the tank, behind a planter, so I can't even see him :(

Back