• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking Poll for 54 litre planted tank

Your choice of fish stock ?

• Ember Tetra

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Black Neon Tetra

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Lemon Tetra

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Lambchop Rasbora

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Chili Rasbora

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Rasbora Kubotai

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
So I introduced 10 lambchop rasboras 3 months ago and they seem to be doing great. No casualties yet 🤞. They have also developed a good coloration.

I am thinking to introduce just one other fish species and am thinking of any of the following:
  • Chili Rasbora : I have a moderate to strong surface flow due to a spray bar at the back so I am wondering if they would end up going into hiding also because of their shy behaviour.
  • Ember Tetra : Seems like they may have a similar color to lambchop rasboras, so maybe I should look at something contrasting
  • Black Neon Tetra : Would they be a good contrast to the black and green backdrop of plants and backgroud.
Looking for a fish species that will look great with lambchop rasboras as well as contrasting the black background and the greens from the plants 😀

My Embers are very shy. They are in a 106L community. They don't move around that much. In my view every tank should have cories, they are the most delightful and peaceable fish, and I find False Julii a very good variety. They also breed quite easily. You have lots of shelter for them. I would also add shrimps as you don't seem to have anything that would eat them? Also sparkling gourmai. They are sometimes shy, but also interesting in the way them loom and court, and they breed easily. The clown killis seems a good suggestion. Them and cories would give you upper and lower levels.

So I introduced 10 lambchop rasboras 3 months ago and they seem to be doing great. No casualties yet 🤞. They have also developed a good coloration.

I am thinking to introduce just one other fish species and am thinking of any of the following:
  • Chili Rasbora : I have a moderate to strong surface flow due to a spray bar at the back so I am wondering if they would end up going into hiding also because of their shy behaviour.
  • Ember Tetra : Seems like they may have a similar color to lambchop rasboras, so maybe I should look at something contrasting
  • Black Neon Tetra : Would they be a good contrast to the black and green backdrop of plants and backgroud.
Looking for a fish species that will look great with lambchop rasboras as well as contrasting the black background and the greens from the plants 😀

Chilli Rasbora are great little fish, but their colouration is similar to the Espei and might not give you the differentiation you want. Embers and Black Neons are nice fish, but a bit sedentary for my liking. For a bit more activity, and a nice contrast to your Lambchops, check out Green Neon Rasbora (Microdevario kubotai), or for something with a more subtle colouration take a look at some Reed/Sedge/Veilfin Tetra (Hyphessobrycon elachys).

My Embers are very shy. They are in a 106L community. They don't move around that much. In my view every tank should have cories, they are the most delightful and peaceable fish, and I find False Julii a very good variety. They also breed quite easily. You have lots of shelter for them. I would also add shrimps as you don't seem to have anything that would eat them? Also sparkling gourmai. They are sometimes shy, but also interesting in the way them loom and court, and they breed easily. The clown killis seems a good suggestion. Them and cories would give you upper and lower levels.
I like the idea of corys (will look for the smaller ones). I already have a variety of shrimp (yellow, red and the mix after breeding 😄) and usually notice their numbers only when I place some cucumber slices which they love.
I looked at clown killis but read on a few forums that they could jump out of an open tank, so I won't take the risk for now.

Chilli Rasbora are great little fish, but their colouration is similar to the Espei and might not give you the differentiation you want. Embers and Black Neons are nice fish, but a bit sedentary for my liking. For a bit more activity, and a nice contrast to your Lambchops, check out Green Neon Rasbora (Microdevario kubotai), or for something with a more subtle colouration take a look at some Reed/Sedge/Veilfin Tetra (Hyphessobrycon elachys).
I did have the kubotai rasbora on my poll list but it seems not many are a fan of it 😃. I do like their coloration though and will keep a look out for them. Couldn't find any veilfin tetras at my LFS or anywhere nearby in Denmark so will opt out of them.

I purchased 8 kubotai rasboras from my LFS about two weeks ago to accompany my existing 10 lambchop rasboras in the tank. They did look healthy. I acclimatised them using the drip method for a couple of hours before adding them to the tank.
However every couple of days since then one has been dying. Now I am left with only 2 of them.
The lambchop rasboras on the other hand which have been in tank since a few months now have no issues at all.

There doesn't seem to be any sickness or anything that I could find on the dead kubotais. Could any of the following be a cause :
  • I have a strong flow and maybe they are too small in size to cope up with the flow.
  • Unable to adjust to the water parameters
  • Just dying by stress since their numbers are reducing and they feel threatened by the lambchop rasboras.

Do you know if these were recent imports or if the lfs has had any trouble? I don't think the flow would be an issue as there will be calmer areas in any tank and these have been fine in higher flow tanks I've seen. I also don't think the lambchops would make them feel threatened (if anything the opposite) but can't rule out other stresses like water parameters, although again they seem adaptable unless you have extremes.

Do you know if these were recent imports or if the lfs has had any trouble? I don't think the flow would be an issue as there will be calmer areas in any tank and these have been fine in higher flow tanks I've seen. I also don't think the lambchops would make them feel threatened (if anything the opposite) but can't rule out other stresses like water parameters, although again they seem adaptable unless you have extremes.
They may have been recent imports as the LFS had quite a big stock of them. These were also relatively small in size so I am guessing they weren't adults yet.
I don't think my water parameters are extreme as there doesnt seem to be any cause of concern for the lambchop rasboras.

Can you judge the body shape at that size? I've seen very skinny ones offered for sale and like other small species they can lose condition quite quickly. I would really only buy them if they have visible plump bellies.
If they do look skinny then trying to get small food in them several times a day is the best way to go.

They’re from fast flowing waters so too much flow wouldn’t be an issue. Can you take some photos of the survivors?

They’re from fast flowing waters so too much flow wouldn’t be an issue. Can you take some photos of the survivors?
Attached are some pics. They swim so fast that it was difficult to capture, also it's just 2 of them left 😔
IMG_20220822_201039.jpg
IMG_20220822_190214.jpg

Attached are some pics. They swim so fast that it was difficult to capture, also it's just 2 of them left 😔
They appear to be on the thin side although that’s not uncommon with new imports. Could be internal parasites.

Should I buy a few more at some point later to accompany the 2 remaining kubotais or should I go with buying another species itself (thinking of Chili rasboras now).
The kubotais are pretty pricey here 😐

Back