• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking levels

Rich Jackson

I know it's a bit of a how longs a piece of string question but
What's do people think rough stocking levels for a 450ltr low tech tank are? I'm thinking of neon rainbows or threadfin rainbows and tetras with corys and ottos. Where do I stand on compatibility with shrimp with these fish also.

You can try a site like this for a rough idea and it gives comments on stocking compatibility as well AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Also seriously fish is good.

Many 'rules' get banded about ranging from 1cm adult fish per litre of water to 1cm per 2 litres. Seems to be one extreme to the other, so many suggest 2.5cm per 4.5 litres which is middle for diddle.

Factor in swimming space (seriously fish gives suggested min footprint for example), bioload etc and it's all guesswork, but guidelines help get you started :)

it all depends of your water change regime too. I have 5 black skirt tetras, 20+ rummynose and 11 adult discus in a 280l. and I change 33% twice a week.
or on your filter size. I've seen tanks absolutely chockfull of fish, but these are backed by huge filtercapacity.

More fish also means more ammonia therefore more probability of problems with ammonia loving algae ;)

I have 450 litre tank which I suspect once substrate and wood is in would total around 380-400ltr and a 120ltr sump again probably running 80-90ltr with turnover of 2000ltr/hr. Fairly heavy plant mass adding ferts at 5ml a day. Constant water change of about 2 ltrs a day and at the moment 20 ltrs changed every 3 day's. Tank is cycling at the moment so nitrite nitrate and ammonia high.

You can try a site like this for a rough idea and it gives comments on stocking compatibility as well AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Also seriously fish is good.

Many 'rules' get banded about ranging from 1cm adult fish per litre of water to 1cm per 2 litres. Seems to be one extreme to the other, so many suggest 2.5cm per 4.5 litres which is middle for diddle.

Factor in swimming space (seriously fish gives suggested min footprint for example), bioload etc and it's all guesswork, but guidelines help get you started :)

this is a superb little website. just had a mooch!

Back