• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking levels

Frederick

Hi all... my tank is a Jewel 180ltr. and at the moment i have in it 3 Angels, 1 blue guarami,2 dwarf guarami, 3 platties,3 guppies,1,algie eater,1 catfish,1 red tail shark, 8 neons and one clown loach.The tank is filtered with one internal and one external filter and CO2 is added. The tank is very well planted IMO, no aeration is added. I would like to add a few more shoaling fish but i am a little worried that I have reached the maximum number of fish.
What is the general opinion and could I add a few more say six cherry barbs.
Please advise.... Frederick

Some would say your close to your limit's if you have not already hit them. Angels and clown loach grow large and clowns should really be kept in groups. Having livebearers in there is a potential bio load increase but I guess the larger fish keep them in check.

Anyway, 6 cherry barbs is such a small bio load and should be fine if they don't end up in the angels mouths.

To compare, we have 4 young angels in a rio125, with a few black phantom tetras, 4 otto's and 2 WCCM that are living out their final days, the WCCM's must be about 4-5 years old now. I want to re house the Angels and stick with smaller fish but the Mrs loves em. I've told her to start saving for the bigger tank now, we're planning for a Rio 240 or something around that volume next year if funds allow. IF not, then the angels will get rehomed.

I have to agree about the Clown Loach; they are only happy in a group, and as they can grow to over a foot long (30cm) a group of them takes quite a bit of stocking capacity.
Also Angels can grow big enough to eat Neons and Guppies. You don't mention what kind of catfish you have, and some of them grow big too. Also what kind of algae eater; if it was just sold under the name "algae eater" it could well be what is usually called a Sucking Loach. These, like the Red-Tailed Black Shark, grow to 6 or 7 inches (15-18cm) and often become quite territorial with similar species. they might well grow to hate each other, and possibly the CLown Loach as well.
This situation is what I would consider a perfect excuse to get more tanks :)
If that's not an option you might condsider;
- rehoming either the algae eater and/or the shark
- rehoming the Clown, or getting him some friends once the above are rehoused
- rehoming the Angels, OR replacing the Neons and Guppies with slightly larger shoaling fish, such as the Cherry Barbs, other barbs, or larger tetras
- identifying the catfish to see if it will cause you any trouble later.
The problems will only start when the Angels, Shark and Algae Eater (if it is a Sucking Loach) grow up (and the catfish if it is a large one) so you don't need to rush in to anything yet, but it would be adviseable to plan ahead.
Again the best plan for nuts like me is 'more tanks', but I realise that is not always possible :)
If you can Id the catfish, or post a pic here, I am sure some-one will be able to advise on that, you could also Google Sucking Loach and confirm whether or not that is what you have as an algae eater.
hth.

Back