• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

stocking levels help please.

Gjags90

Seedling
Hey guys! Not sure if this is the right place for this tread, but anyway. I have a 65l tank with 5kg of gravel, 8 golden pencilfish, 2 licorice gourami, 2 otocinclus and 4 red cherry shrimp. i have a fluval 105 filter with 1kg of bio home ultimate. About 15-20 good sized amazon frogbit, 4 anubias, 3 java fern and a few other plants. So, i was wondering if i could fit anymore fish in it??? was hoping for 6-8 habrosus cory's or pygmy cory's.any help would be very helpful. cheers!!!

I'd probably say you're pretty maxed out with regards to tank size and also because of the size of filter you're running

Its possible to get away with overstocking if you've over filtered and have a fair plant mass to offset the added waste, but you also need to make sure the fish have enough space and its not over crowded

Thats a good website Keith! So it says my filtration is 98%, i have to do 28% water change weekly and my stocking level is at 86%.

Thats a good website Keith! So it says my filtration is 98%, i have to do 28% water change weekly and my stocking level is at 86%.

I would suggest at least a 50% weekly water change if your stocking your tank up to its limit, :)

I'm just going to leave it as it is for now. I'll get a bigger tank and filter before i start adding anything else. Thank you very much guys!!!!

I'm just going to leave it as it is for now. I'll get a bigger tank and filter before i start adding anything else. Thank you very much guys!!!!

If you have a planted tank you want 10x the flow rate of your filter to the volume of your tank. So say you have a 240ltr tank your filtration flow rate should be 2400ltrs per hour. :)

If you have a planted tank you want 10x the flow rate of your filter to the volume of your tank. So say you have a 240ltr tank your filtration flow rate should be 2400ltrs per hour. :)

I’ve never run my bigger tanks anywhere near the 10X “rule” :oops: :oops: :oops:
Fortunately the local Algae Gangs haven’t heard :shh:
:D

Good flow throughout the tank is needed, but good flow is not the same as fast flow

Note if you add in-line heaters, CO2 reactors, multiple “elbows” etc, you may need a filter with 10X (manufacturer reported) flowrate to realize 5X tank volume turnover/hour

There are many outstanding tanks (viewable online) running with 4-6X volume turnover :)

Nano tanks can easily - and cheaply - be set up with 10X flowrates

I’ve never run my bigger tanks anywhere near the 10X “rule” :oops: :oops: :oops:
Fortunately the local Algae Gangs haven’t heard :shh:
:D

Good flow throughout the tank is needed, but good flow is not the same as fast flow

Note if you add in-line heaters, CO2 reactors, multiple “elbows” etc, you may need a filter with 10X (manufacturer reported) flowrate to realize 5X tank volume turnover/hour

There are many outstanding tanks (viewable online) running with 4-6X volume turnover :)

Nano tanks can easily - and cheaply - be set up with 10X flowrates

Thanks for the clarification alto, :)

Back