• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking for a 3ft long 30 inch deep tank

Regent

So having moved the current inhabitants out of my tank ready for a rescape I'm looking for ideas.

The issue I have are the tank dimensions:
36 inches long, 24 inches wide, 30 inches deep.
This is the last layout:
IMG-20191129-WA0014.jpg

I'd like it have a bit more of a natural feel while making use of the height and not being difficult to clean. That means having minimal obstructing hardscape as turning over this volume of water at this depth has proved tricky without creating a whirlpool. Prehaps an island layout?

I have moderately hard water Clarke 11.6 dg8.93, the tank is high tech and ei but I'm considering redoing the substrate and knocking it back to low tech as I'll be away a lot over the next year.

Fish wise I currently have two ideas:
1) Stick to a tried and tested tetra tank: I don't like putting acidic water dwellers in suboptimal conditions though.
Surface dwelling Hatchets/ pencil fish (tank has a glass cover)
Clean up Nerites, Otto's and royal farlowella
8-10 larger tetra - I'm impartial to bleeding hearts but would also consider Congo/diamond/Red and blue.
8-10 mid sized tetra eg emperor tetra or a large School of 20-30 smaller tetra
Bottom: school of Corry's and one or two male apistos

2)
large school of Blue eyes or threadfins ( I'm worried about short life expectancy here as if I can't get them breeding it'll be a short lived tank)
8 smaller rainbow fish.
Clean up Nerites, Otto's and royal farlowella
Bottom Peacock gudgeon.

What are people's thoughts? I'm open to other ideas as well!

Last edited:
Back