• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

stocking advice on a 285l

Five or six Discus would be fine, but I would submit, that with exception of possibly the rummy nose ,,the other fishes you list would MUCH prefer way cooler water than that which Discus thrive in.
Personally,, I would raise/keep the Discus by themselves. Opinion's vary.
Certainly would quarantine any fishes I was considering keeping with the discus for three to four week's before placing them in the same tank.

krazypara3165 said:
Cheers, I have read several articles that the fish described above are happy at temps upto 28 (tank is 27) as long as I get peppered or sterbai cory. Is this not correct?

In my opinion,, No.
Nearly all of the tetra's with exception of the rummy nose and cardinal tetra's ,will do better,longer,at lower to middle range of suggested temperatures.IME
Keeping fishes at upper or lower extremes, often result's in much shorter life span's.
Sterbai cory's would be the most tolerable of warmer temps.
Suggested temperatures could be indicitive (my view) of different times of day,different season's,or different location's where these fishes were gathered from and then noted back in the day's where many fishes were wild caught.
I would expect slight temp changes from heat of the day to evening, but do not believe the fishes should be expected to live at lower or upper range's suggested 24 hour's a day ,seven day's a week.
Not all share this view,some don't care, but my observation's have suggested to me that the fishes will appraciate the middle range suggested for temp's,pH.

Cheers fir the advice guys. Really have my heart set on discus so everything is based around them. Problem is that I already have 4 neons and 1 skirt in there, the survivors from a previous tank and I wanted to up their numbers as tetras do better in larger groups and I cant realistically keep them in such a small group.

Back