• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hello Everyone,

I want to create a scape that is a bit different from what I have done before. I have always wanted to try and create a biotope aquascape and I thought to make a Hillstream River Biotope which would be perfect for one of my favourite fish: Stiphodon Goby's! I have tried to take some rules used in an Iwagumi Aquascaping to try and create a more artist style of Biotope.

Tank: 50cm x 30cm x 30cm (45 Litres) (Opti White Front Panel)
Hardscape: Scottish River Boulder
Substrate: Hugo Kamishi Natural Fine Gravel and Pea Gravel
Lighting: Twinstar 450 EA
Filter: Oase FiltoSmart Thermo 100 External Filter with Glass Jet Pipe and Glass Inlet Pipe

1. Here is the tank I am going to be using: 50cm x 30cm x 30cm (45 Litres) with an Opti White Front Panel.
hill1.jpg

2. I have added an egg crate to the bottom of the tank to protect the glass from the weight of all the rocks.
hill2.jpg

3. I am using Hugo Kamishi Natural Fine Gravel, this gravel has such a nice look to it which closely resembles the substrate found in the Stiphodon's habitat.
hill3.jpg

4. Here is the large Scottish River Boulder I am going to be using, this is going to be my mother stone for the Aquascape.
hill4.jpg

5. This other smaller boulder will act as my sister stone, this will help to bring some balance to the Aquascape.
hill5.jpg

6. Now I have added the rest of the Scottish River Stones to create the river bed kind of look.
hill6.jpg

7. I have added some smaller Scottish River Pebbles to provide more micro details to Aquascape.
hill7.jpg

8. I also scattered some Pea Gravel around the foreground of the Aquascape to try and create some extra interest.
hill8.jpg

9. I have filled the tank up and turned the filter on. I took a few hours to clear the water up, but I am super happy with how this Aquascape has turned out!

129766741_822234455235634_657181943891760289_n(1).jpg

I have also made a video showing you guys the whole process of me setting up this Hillstream Aquascape, I hope you enjoy it!

I also wanted to share some of the inspiration for this tank too!
gob10.png

This Aquascape George Farmer did for PKF many years ago is one of my favourites, I love how simple and clean it looks!

This the type of environment I am trying to recreate.
gob6.png

gob8.png

Attachments

• hill4.jpg
    hill4.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 252
I really don’t see the point of you using the egg crate if the stones are not sitting on it

Plus fish can burrow under your stones, therefore they could fall and break the glass

The whole idea is you place the stones directly upon the egg crate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don’t see the point of you using the egg crate if the stones are not sitting on it

Plus fish can burrow under your stones, therefore they could fall and break the glass

The whole idea is you place the stones directly upon the egg crate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I kinda of see your point now, I think I was just overly worried about the weight issue about reading things online, whenever I do a rescape I'll keep in mind what you have said.
Like the look of it! River rock is under utilized imo :)
I love them, they are just super natural looking I want to use them in a scape with plants one day!

Lovely tank but I think you might run into issues with that many males in that size tank,they can be quite aggressive once they mature especially the S.ornatus.
Hi Miranda, yes I know that males can get territorial when the mature, I do have another suitable tank I can move them if I see any dangerous behaviour! I have noticed that each sp. have differences in their aggression

Tank looks way too small for that many gobies long term. a 30x60 footprint is about minimum for your sp with 6 of the same sp being about max you could keep long term and that's assuming a big turn over filter of around 15x tank volume.

I have spoken to several people who have kept Stiphodon gobys before and they said it can work, you have to monitor their aggression. I am planning on upgrading the tank to a larger one in the future.

Back