• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Still getting crypt melt

Lee iley

Hi guys my tank has been set up since August. I'm still getting crypt melt and some of the leaves have little tiny pin sized holes in them. It's the odd leaf on most of the crypts that are melting. I have about 5 different types of crypt. I dose tnc complete every day. My light is a aqua one plant glo. 39 watts. But I have halved this to 20 watts by switching one side of the lights off. I use aqua soil also. I have stopped using tnc liquid carbon about 1 week ago to see if that stops it but it hasn't. I have the lights on for 7 hours a day. Any help would be great thanks.

Hi
What temperature U have in tank.Cryptocorine sp like a bit warmer water.How do U change water.If the tap is quite a bit different from what U have in tank (tap TDS 100 ,tank TDS400+)sometimes that does it too if U do one very large WC.
Funny things are them Cryptocorine plants nowadays.About 15 years ago they were totally hard to kill even without ferts and light on 24/7.Now I have 3 species that I have for 3 years and I am yet to see any propagation.
Regards Konsa

Lee iley

Once I planted my Crypts they grew like weeds.
No fancy substrates just 1-3mm river gravel, another shock horror Under Gravel Filter. Temp no big deal just average tank temp. Liquid Seachem Ferts as recommend. Lighting standard T8 tube lighting on 12hrs a day. Two 35% prepared water changes weekly.

As as you can see nothing special when planted.
What I always did was when I relieved them I would remove any damaged roots and leaves and trimmed all the roots. This encouraged new root growth.
The next step was the most important, I never planted them I let them float until I saw a good new root growth.
If they were only small plants I would put them in a small floating plastic breeding box. If necessary I would add a few baby shrimps to keep them clean.

When planting I would add at least one half of a root tab to each plant.

Keith:wave::wave:

Thanks for the reply guys. My water temp is 24c. I do a 50/70% water changer every week. Tds not sure what it is really. How would I know what it is in my tank. I can get a water report for the tap water.

Cheers Lee.

Crypts are normally pretty indestructible... i have them in cold and tropical tanks, with ferts and without...

What is your substrate Lee?

Cryptocoryne is a darn large family and not all are equaly easy and have different requirements.. I had about 4 crypt. sp. i failed to grow and the ones that grow sometimes do strange things i canot pin point the cause of, because in my opinion nothing much changed. But every time one doesn't feel like it anymore it melts away. For examplle i once had a rather large and healthy group of Crypt indonesii, suddenly one day all plants in the group strated curling up it's leaves and 80% of the group melted away. 20% recovered and are still growing today, but not propagating that fast as they did before.

Also had such a strange experience with Crypt Wendtii, had 1 young plant, it grew very good for about 2 years, it grew out runners and now i have 5 of them. But the originating mother is gone. It simply decided to melt away and never came back.

Don't ask me why, they can be easy to grow but also darn sensitive, nothing much needs to change for them to melt away.

The only thing that obviously changes in my tank is temperarure, it's 23°C during the colder seasons and can go up to 28°C in during the summer.
It might be that crypts don't like fluctuating climates.

I got all my crypts from aquarium gardens. All beginner plants aswel I will take some pics when I get bk from work. There is new growth on all the plants still.

Crypt melt is not a disaster probability is plenty of root growth still going on, keep on taking poor leaves off and the new growth should come through although slowly, agree with zozo sometimes happens not in new set ups but yet for reasons not fully understood melt happens, water parameters?temperature?gradual deficiency? persevere

Thanks paraguay I will keep at it I won't give up. Here are a few pics not the best pics on my phone. Also my anubias nana has started to go slightly yellow any ideas?

Attachments

• 20181206_183359.jpg
    20181206_183359.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 150
  • 20181206_183409.jpg
    20181206_183409.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 181
  • 20181206_183416.jpg
    20181206_183416.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 157
  • 20181206_183422.jpg
    20181206_183422.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 147
  • 20181206_183439.jpg
    20181206_183439.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 148
Hi all, Probably too much light.

What colour is the new growth on the Hygrophila? Is it as pale as it looks in the photo?

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel I havnt noticed any new growth on these yet. They have only been in about a month. I have dropped the light down from 39 watts to 20 watts.

It's hard to tell but it looks like a lot of the leaves showing melt are still the emersed leaves after purchase. Emersed leaf has a more arrow shape with a longer stem... these will always melt, sometimes months later..

I would suggest now there is immersed growth as they have been in a few months get the scissors out and remove all those leaves. The crypts will thank you for it.

Crypt melt used to be considered a disease, it's not but it's advisable to remove any melt as soon as you see it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thank you Iain will get rid of them all at weekend when I do my water change. The yellow leaves on my anubias do I cut the bk aswel?

Under Gravel Filte
Always use undergravel filters and plain gravel with some flourite mixed in. Crypts growing for about ten years in present tank. Some are daughters of much older plants that I kept going in some dyer conditions. Fertilize the water column and just keep tidy. Old leaves die and new leaves grow. Not fussed about melting leaves, they soon vanish. Plants slowly move around the tank to where they grow best.

Crypts can fail under very bright light, they will form flat rosettes on the substrate and melt, especially if newly introduced. Will often regrow under very low light levels.

It used to be thought that cryps were inundation plants and needed a rest. The old time books said they should be grown in tall form clay pots and removed from the aquarium to a glasshouse to rest and grow as emergents. Better understanding of iron & trace elements and general tank care have changed things.

Changes in fertilizer dosing especially increases will cause pinholing in old leaves but should stimulate new strong leaf growth.

Many hybrids sold today, if like some garden plants, may have a finite life. Wild stock should be immortal but may need sexual reproduction in the long term. Different species require different water chemistry but usually settle down to the water on offer. Gave up try to identify these plants by general appearance, need to examine flowers and seeds. Life is too short for this, I am not a Biologist, just like plants.

Cut the yellow leaves off your anubias.

Thanks for the reply chaps. I have increased my fertilizing of my tnc complete. So that could explain the pin holes. I thought by increasing it slightly might encourage stronger growth.

Back