• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's "Spring Tree" - Planning

Steve Smith

Having almost finished moving flats, and having had to get rid of most of my tanks I'm now in the planning stages of a new scape in my remaining "big" tank. When I say "big", it's the largest tank I can have in my new abode which is a 60cm Aqua One Horizon 60. It's been modded, naturally, to take the plastic trim from around the rim.

For this scape, I want to stick with a nature/wood scape. It's something I haven't conquored yet and I'm hoping this will be the one :shifty: I have been looking for inspiration, and I've found what I want to do. This photo, called "Spring Tree" (hence the title), is by photographer Marc Adamus:

Spring_Tree_Marc_Adamus.jpg

I like the idea of creating a forest atmosphere, with not necessarily much open space. I plan to use lots of crypts. Mostly Parva but some larger species (Wendtii etc). Also I plan to use java fern. I will experiment with both "Needle" and "Narrow" varieties to see what works best. Obviously moss will play a part in this tank. I plan to use Fissidens a fair amount. Finally, I plan to use Anubias. I have "Nana", "Nana petite" and "bonzai" available so should find a good combination. I'm also pondering a glosso carpet, to emulate a green forest floor.

I'll be using a mix of redmoor and manzanite, depending on what I've got, and what works. Also I'll be using unipac Zambezi sand, and some unipac gravels, along with other stones and graded gravels. I seem to have a good collection of hardscape and gravels to choose from :)

I won't be able to start on this for a little while, but it gives me time to plan and get things right! Anyhow, I thought I'd share my thoughts. Comments/suggestions always welcome!

Edit: Well, the tank has changed to an 80x45x45 now, as I was offered one, and couldn't refuse :) Much better dimensions I feel!

Where are you planning to get your needle leaves from? I got some from the far east and it's cost me a boom for a meager portion...

That's a fantastic inspiration photo. You should be able emulate all the major elements in there with the normal seleciton of aquascaping plants and hardscape.

daniel19831123 said:
Where are you planning to get your needle leaves from? I got some from the far east and it's cost me a boom for a meager portion...

I've got quite a lot of needle at the moment:

4310454099_05d2a79a29_o.jpg

That strip is about 40 - 50cm long!

Also got a heap of Crypt Parva to use:

4311191168_e6ff2447c9.jpg

Steve

That's going to look wicked! (if you can pull it off :lol: :lol: )

I really prefer this style of setup the NA tanks looks so good!

Thanks all :) I'm setting myself up for a fall here ;)

deMastro said:
Fantastic photo!

What about Bolbitis to simulate the Ferns?

I have a species of Bolbitis I'm thinking of using. It's in a bit of a state at the moment (lots of hair algae) but hacking off all the leaves and letting it grow fresh should cure that. I'm not totally sure how this will look yet, as the tank is going to be a bit cramped for space. I'm just going to have to see what happens I think.

Thats a really good inspiraional photo,if you can get something similar in your scape then it will be very nice,
regards john.

I'm changing my mind a little on the planting. I might not use Parva. This is partially as I don't think it'll work, and partiall because I used some of it elsewhere, and the rest is looking pretty sorry for itself :lol: Not sure it'll survive long enough to be planted at this rate.

Anyhow, got the tank and luminaire cleaned up yesterday which I've been putting off. Don't ask me why! I'm agonising over plants at the moment. I really don't want stems, but I might relinquish and include some. I'm struggling to find something to go in the background.

Some more inspirational photos. These photos were "borrowed" from the ADA Poland gallery which I believe Saintly linked too in another post (great find Mark!):

This scape has the sort of stem layout I might consider, and I really like the moss:

Amano_Moss.jpg

This scape just looks amazing, and has a look and feel I'd like to, to some extent, achieve:

Amano_Wood2.jpg

I'm aprehensive about stems due to my usual lazyness when it comes to maintenance. That being said, I really want to give this one everything, and get it right from the start.

what's great about that first image is, the fact that amano has changed the rear plants many times. keeping the fore and mid ground long term and the rear, from what i know of......arcuata, rotundifoila and vivipara all at different times.

Oi! That first one is what my new tank is emulating! Get your own!
Best of luck Steve, there's some good ideas bouncing about!

samc said:
i bought my opti with the idea of the first one too :lol: thats why i got a tall tank
Same, otherwise I'd have got a tank some 6inches shorter. It's all likely to change though, I've got loads of ideas whirring about, won't know till I have everything to hand.

Back