• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's Shrimp Pile - Planted

So my wood has sunk, just :) Also, fist signs of growth. Sadly, it's white fungus on one of the bits of manzanita :lol: I noticed a few bits of hydrocotyle uprooted this evening, so replanted those. Other than this, not much to report as yet.

Lighting is on for 4.5 hours at the moment and nothing really showing signs of melting as yet. Still dosing a little liquid carbon every other day and so far one 5ml dose of TPN+. I should probably do a water change soon. Best fire up the RO unit again!

Fed up of mechanical timers and I've read others on UKAPS are using these happily.
I just went from digital to mechanical, too many issues with the digital timers, reliability is the issue for me!

Ordered a set of these:
Wonder if these work when the batteries from the remote control run out? Assume its the remote that turns them on and off and without it nothing will work, correct?

Hi all,
I just went from digital to mechanical, too many issues with the digital timers, reliability is the issue for me!
Same for me, mechanical all the way. I'm using the standard £12 Grasslin and Lumii ones now and they are both reliable.

I've thrown away £100's (and possibly £000's) worth of digital timers. It doesn't seem to matter how much they cost, or where you got them from, the LCD displays always fail and you have to throw them away.

The best one was when they replaced the 100% functional analogue timer sockets for the glasshouse lighting with new digital "IP67" ones. I expressed some concerns about HPS discharge lamps and electronic timers, but was assured (by the company that fitted them) that it wasn't a problem.

Ten minutes later the lights had come on and fried them.

cheers Darrel

Hmn. This is a bit annoying. The timer plugs turned up today, and don't seem to work with my 11w light unit. They're dimmer plugs which I assumed would be OK, but it appears that when you switch them on they fade in. Annoyingly this only seems to work with incandescent lighting.

First water change done. It's taken a while as I've been trying to find a suitable water container for my RO. As I only need about 5 litres and with my limited space I came up with an ingenious solution. A folding 15 litre camping water bag/bottle thing.

It was a bit of a comedy getting it sorted out. Man handling 15 litres of water (I so I've got enough for another change later this week). I had a moment where I was trying to figure out GH+ quantities and the bag/bottle started to collapse, causing me to flinch and throw GH+ everywhere, but it's done now. I'll figure out a way of doing it better next time ;)

Just ordering the correct timer plugs now. Hopefully I'll have them for the end of next week.

Yeah, the weeping moss that was 1-2 grow has really changed colour this last week :) Lovely lush green instead of pasty yellow :lol:

I've upped the lighting by an hour to 5 1/2 hours as of the other day too. Should probably look to do another water change soon!

I have to jump in here, I have a 24 watt t5 unit ( its has 2 light sockets but i only have 1 tube in it ) is they're a suitable light dimmer for me?, a timer is not important but would help.

Renamed the journal :) Also, I now have a black backing for the tank which I think makes it look a little better. Need to try attaching it to the glass instead of the wall behind though, as I'm getting some reflection.

So I was in my local Pets at home the other day and spotted a really poor grade black CRS. After looking more closely I spotted 5 or 6 CRS shrimplets and another adult too. I walked out of there with the 2 adults, which he charged me less for, and all the shrimplets he could get out for free (about 6).

I acclimatised them last night and they're in now. I haven't seen any of the shrimplets since, but they'll appear soon enough :)

Back