• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steel glass scrapers - any tips, advice?

Malarky

Can anyone give me their experience of metal glass scrapers (the kind with a blade and handle)? I see vids of people using these but maybe they are less precious about their sponsored glass, I am concerned about scratching mine. I have the Eheim version but I also notice there is an eye wateringly expensive ADA version. Also, how I am supposed to be using this tool? Lifting up at a narrow angle or pushing down which feels a bit more hazardous. I have used a Dennerle cleanator sponge up to now but thought I would experiment with one of these.

I’ve got a Qanvee one. It’s great, it does the job well when it comes to getting into the more difficult spots around your scape. It’s just a simple up and down while pushing the blade solidly into the glass - the handle flexes to remove force on the glass.

You have to be careful and deliberate about the motions as you want to avoid dragging the blade sideways across the glass lest you scratch it. That said, you really have to put force onto that sideways drag to scratch the glass.

If you ask me what is my favourite algae tool (you didn’t but I’ll say anyways ): An old credit card.

You can go wild and get large swathes of algae without worrying about scratches.

After using a JBL blade for sometime and finding it a bit awkward due to me having a small tank and the JBL requiring quite an angle, I took the plunge and bought an ADA mini razor. You can use it at a real small angle, and I find it’s really good for getting close behind the plants that are near to the glass. It can also get much closer to the corners than my previous razor, so I don’t have to work as hard with a toothbrush in the corners. I have found this joy to use, so useful, and it really surprised me how much easier it made my glass cleaning maintenance. The only negative is that you can quite easily break a blade. Also, it costs a lot 😂. I hope this helps 😀

I got an Aquapro branded one though I don't use it very often. The handle has to be near parallel to the glass otherwise the scraper chatters. Also have to be mindful of the light if near to the surface or the light fixture is particularly wide.

Most of the time I'll use a Mag-float or plain razor blade.

Back