• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne repens problems

MARKCOUSINS

In my 450L tank i have some issues with my staurogyne repens,the leaves on some plants are turning a greyish colour and then going mushy and disintergrating.I had this before and upped the co2 and increased the flow in the tank changed the tank scape and planting a bit as well to get good flow and get all the plants in the tank moving in the flow.I replanted some more staurogyne from my nano tank where strangely they thrive in a spot where lots of co2 bubbles pass through.After about 4 weeks good growth and pearling the above problems are returning.
co2 on 3 hours before lights on DC green off 1.5 hours before lights off DC very light green/almost yellow.
Flow is 8x tank volume (maybe need more but the plants are moving well and ones on the back get battered a bit.
EI dosing 3x macro 3x trace a week.
Macro mix 1teaspoon Potassium Phosphate,4 teaspoons Potassium Nitrate,6teaspoons Magnesium Sulphate in 500ml of water dosing 90ml 3x a week.
Lighting 4 x 36watt 7 hours a day all 4 are on together for a total of 6 hours a day remaining one hour is lit by 2 tubes.
Tank temp is 25 degress C
All the other plants HC,Eleocharis,Ludwiga repens,Rotala,etc are doing well
Substrate in tank is JBL Manando
I was going to add some Easy Carbo and maybe some root tabs to see if this made any differance.In my nano tanks i do not have any problem with this plant with what i see as strange.
Hope someone could give me some advice on what the problem is and what to try and do to sort it out.
Cheers mark.

Hi

guess can you increase CO2 even more that DC is yellowish at the start of light ON? C isnt exactly a good measure due to delayed response etc, but leaves getting mushy is surely a CO2 issue. Also check if you have enough N in your macro fert.

Hi

guess can you increase CO2 even more that DC is yellowish at the start of light ON? C isnt exactly a good measure due to delayed response etc, but leaves getting mushy is surely a CO2 issue. Also check if you have enough N in your macro fert.
Thanks for your answer have to be a bit carefull with the fish they were on the surface looking a bit gassed a few weeks ago when i upped the gas a bit too much yeah with close observation i will try and up it a touch more.Might be an idea to up N in the EI dosing.Cheers mark

Hi Mark,
was this 1-2 grow by any chance?
i had exactly the same thing happen to mine.
Structural failure is classic c02.....but out of interest id like to know?
Cheerio,
Ady.

No Ady was Aquafleur in a pot mate.It is still growing fine in some parts of the tank will try and up co2 even more if possible but DC yesterday was basicaly yellow with 2 hours left on the lighting period.Will add LC too maybe more N in my ferts.Cheers mark

Ive just trimmed mine right down to the substrate as it lost all its leaves, done this once before and it come back nice. dont no if mines a co2 issue I have a drop checker right on substrate level that reads lime green at lights on

ant

Ive just trimmed mine right down to the substrate as it lost all its leaves, done this once before and it come back nice. dont no if mines a co2 issue I have a drop checker right on substrate level that reads lime green at lights on

ant
This did happen to me a staurogyne grew from the remains i had le ft in the substrate.It's weird i have a couple melting in the middle of a group that look to be doing fine.At least i can replace them with the constant cuttings i get from my nano tank where they grow mental no idea why this is!Cheers mark

The first time I planted 4 pots and it all melted I was told by the lad in the green machine it was due 2 my t8 lighting wasent reaching the substrate level. not sure if this was right but added more light anyway and it did come back not sure if it was coincidence. now it seems to be struggling again hopefully it comes back after a big trim.

ant

Did up co2 DC is yellow but fish look fine also added some LC will carry on like this and see what happens.Maybe need to look at some change in flow if this does not sort out the problem.Cheers mark

If its possible you could also lower lighting intensity.

Yep could do at the moment at 17.00 2 come on at 18.00 other 2 come on at 23.00 2 go off at 24.00 tank bed time.Lights are 36 watt T8 dennerle special plant about 12 months old.I used to run the lights for far longer but after reading some stuff from Clive decided to leave the Clingon way of life!What do you think?Cheers mark

Yeah, you could drop the all four period by an hour or two I suppose, but your lighting doesn't really seem high on a 450l tank which maybe does suggest distribution.....co2 is so flaming tricky to get balanced, grrr!

Yeah your right Ady i am thinking about more flow at present have about 8 x tank volume pump from filter and Tunze circulation pump could invest in another circulation pump which might give me more control of the flow.At present filter pump and circulation pump flow down the back wall hit the side and sweep low back down the front through the HC which is going well since major replant and back to the filter end.Plenty of bubbles in the tank and the bubble count is too fast to count.But as you said it is flaming tricky you never know small change could be the answer mate.Cheers mark

Yeah small changes can have big effects.....I've just found out the negative way..... got some algae in my studio tank for the first time since the rescape :( all after attempting fine adjustments and not being quite so vigilant with maintenance. Upped fish feeding too, and need to dose more ferts.....could be any one or a combination of things for me. Ill get round to explaining it all in the journal. It's a kick up the backside though :)

Thanks for your help Ady on the good side i need to trim the staurogyne in my nano so that replaces what i am losing in my big tank so at least i can try again without going plant shopping.Strange though HC is healthy growing touching melting staurogyne,i suppose some plants needs differ.Will try a few things if it's a non runner will replace it with another plant or more HC i can grow that!Will be looking for your journal update mate don't forget the shrimp journal that's my top one!Cheers mark

Seems like i have been able to sort this one out!Changed the flow in the tank a bit after a few trys i was happy with it also upped the co2 to the limit carefully watching the fish more than the dropchecker,and now have it running like this for a couple of weeks.Much higher level of co2 in the tank also suplemented with LC.Result is the staurogyne repens that had melted and which i trimmed to the substrate has made a return from the dead and is looking great!Also the staurogyne in partialy shaded areas allways flourished.Conclusion the plants that were under the lights needed more co2 the plants growing a bit in the shade were happy with less as they were not getting much light.Pretty simple at the end we should allways listen to Clive and other experts when they talk about over doing the lighting.More you light the tank the more co2 is needed the more the tank is lit the margin of error becomes smaller and allways let your plants and fish do the talking,look at their behaviour and health and let that tell you where your at instead of test kits.The dropchecker is a guide but livestock behaviour is a better guide.Cheers mark

Good man! :clap:
Nice to know our breaths aren't being wasted and that some are actually listening.

Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself...

red-pill-or-blue-pill.jpg

Cheers,

Thanks to you Clive and the other experts on the forum i am starting to get an idea of what The Matrix is all about!Keep the invaluable advice coming.Cheers mark

Back