• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne Repens in aquarium near a window? Ideal?

KRMans

I'm choosing a location for a new aquarium. The aim is to have a large 3' to 4' tank, and carpet entirely with Staurogyne Repens, leaving plenty of open free space above for a large number of fast shoaling fish (zebra danio or neon tetra).

I wonder if it would be suitable to place the tank near large wall-to-wall windows on the sunny side of the house. It will not be "direct" sunlight, but rather, sunlight filtered though transparent perspex roofing of the outdoor patio.

My concern is mainly that placing it near the window might lead to algae growth.

I'm choosing a location for a new aquarium. The aim is to have a large 3' to 4' tank, and carpet entirely with Staurogyne Repens, leaving plenty of open free space above for a large number of fast shoaling fish (zebra danio or neon tetra).

I wonder if it would be suitable to place the tank near large wall-to-wall windows on the sunny side of the house. It will not be "direct" sunlight, but rather, sunlight filtered though transparent perspex roofing of the outdoor patio.

My concern is mainly that placing it near the window might lead to algae growth.
Hello,
Algae can result if the sunlight intensity is too high for the available nutrient loading and CO2 concentration level. This is the same as would occur if the the lighting were artificial.

What you can do is to cover the back and sides of the tank to reduce the overall infiltration of uncontrolled ambient light.

Cheers,

Similar it sounds like my sister in laws community tank. She gets sunlight on on side with morning sun. She managed to get one of those foldable screens and takes it down at 5pm when shes home and lights on. Any sun has moved over . The screen is decorative good to look at with oriental painting so good to look at . You night be able to fit one rear of aquarium?

A luscious jungle type plant with big leaves might help block some of the light if you have space next to the tank and find you are getting algae problems.

Thanks for all your comments indicating it is feasible. So I'll place the tank in the brightest part of the room, and aim to grow lots of plants to out-compete with the algae.

Back