• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne lake 270L - return of oddn0ise

oddn0ise

Previous scape can be seen here and new scape journal below

New set up:
270L tank, Ehiem Pro3 350 filter (Mech, Substrat Pro, Torf, Lav)
JBL 602 CO2 Unit, Sera glass CO2 Disperser, 2 x 600 Growbeams (on from 2pm to 10.30pm), 1 x 42inch T8 tube (on from 4pm to 8pm), Amazonia soil

Plants:
Staurogyne Repens
Anubias Barteri, Gracilis
Cryptocoryne Crispatula, Wendtti, Blaassi, Parva
Eleocharis Acicularis mini
Ludwigia Arcuata
Bacopa Australis
Rotala Bonsai
Myriophyllum mini

Fish:
Neon tetras
Chocolate Gouramis
Otocinclus
Corydoras
Amano and Cherry shrimps

This is my first new scape since 2013, my last one got me into the Aquatics Live aquascaping competition where I learnt a lot. After nurturing my 270L for almost 5 years it felt like a good time to change. The plants, fish and shrimps were all happy and I now have a bucket full of Anubias and Bolbitis, if anyone wants some.

The re-scape was done at speed in order to keep my fish and shrimps happy/warm. I set the substrate up and refilled the tank after a day and most of the planting was done underwater, and I managed to build the river underwater too, which proved quite a challenge. The Anubias are from my previous set-up and the new wood from the Aquatic Design Centre.

Here's how things started on December 19th 2015

IMG_0121.JPG

Day 1 - 19th Dec 2015
IMG_0119.JPG

Loads of Anubias from previous set-up and a plastic container to house the fish.

IMG_0124low.JPG

Day 1(late evening) - 19th Dec 2105
Amazonia, mini landscape rock, wood and Anubias

IMG_0178low.JPG

Day 10 - 29th Dec 2015
As pointed out by someone in the audience at the Aquatics Live competition "He's making it up as he goes along". But that's my style, I work with what I have and let it take shape naturally... It took several days to build the river using Dennerle River Crystal substrate, Plax board (London Graphic Centre) forced in between each rock. Staurogyne, Ludwigia and a few crypts were planted first, wood held in place with lead.

IMG_0235low.JPG

Day 17 - 5th January 2016
Further planting including Eleocharis things are starting to settle down and I'm very slowly increasing the fertilisers.

Last edited:
Looks like it's settling in very well. Your plants are very healthy looking.

My thoughts are that those Anubis leaf size is a little too big for the scale of this tank. It may not matter once filled in with plants etc though.

I think it's come along really well. I'm thinking a group of Ember Tetras will really set it off. I'd also just stick with green plants and not add any red plants because I personally think with this layout, green's work a lot better.

It looks a fantastic tank for your chocos - they will vote on keeping those big leaf anubias :D

How many chocolate gouramis did you get? (I count 6 so there must be another 6 somewhere ;))

Nice photo series ... I like this tank - there is just so much interest

Thanks for the comments, the tank is coming on nicely and will update pics soon. Brought 13 Gouramis and haven't ever counted more than 10, but they seem happy. Otocinclus are my favs though and may get a few more soon...

... am struggling with the Anubias at the moment though, losing leaves quite frequently. I'm wondering whether it's just shock from the move... or any other thoughts...

In my experience with Anubias it will lose a fair few leaves now and again, it tends to happen for a month or so and then stops and flourishes, then 3-4 months down the line it follows the same cycle.

I wouldn't worry about it myself.

In my experience with Anubias it will lose a fair few leaves now and again, it tends to happen for a month or so and then stops and flourishes, then 3-4 months down the line it follows the same cycle.

I wouldn't worry about it myself.

Thanks will hang in there and hopefully the Anubias will start to pick up.

Almost two months now and the Anubias are in a bad way, the stems are melting and most of the leaves have fallen off. Will clear them out and look to replace them with new smaller variety to help the proportions of the layout.

Shame about the Anubias - not sure what that's about, lately there seem to be lots of "melting" Anubias reports

The same anubius melting happened in my tank - I lost tonnes of the stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back