• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Starting new fluval Roma

Ninjascape

Hello everyone,

I am closing down my 5ft aquarium and downsizing to fluval Roma 260.

I have in the past been using fluval stratum substrate which hasn't given very good results. I was wondering should I change my substrate? For example a compte all in one substrate or try with aquatic pond soil , add sand to the mix ect.. hoping to Run a decent montecarlo carpet and have Amazon swords ect.

What substrate should I use I can't afford the ada.. what's your mix for super plant growth??

Thanks 👍

I have a tub of tetra complete substrate, the old fluval stratum with some clay mixed and also 20kg sand, hoping to use some of this in the mix

If you're not sure what to choose and why, pure silica sand is the default substrate.
Various additives and their blends offer certain specific features. In theory, they may be beneficial, but only if you know which, why & how much.
Anyway, plain silica sand is a good choice, not least thanks to practical benefits - cheap, eternal, re-use ready, inert, safe, etc.

Back