• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Starting a new tank…need help

Kaliilo

Hiya guys
Been lurking a while but never posted. I’ve had many tanks in the past but always low tech and the bog standard set up. I have wanted to do a heavily planted tank for the longest time but never got round to it.
I am driving my husband up the wall with my indesicion so I thought I would sound out here and you lovely experts can give me some advice :)

My options are either a Juwel Rio 125 which comes with the multilux leds or a plain glass tank with some other kind of led lighting. The latter obviously being the more expensive. I will be sticking around that size as I don’t want to have to sell a kidney buying plants for a massive tank 😂
I will be using co2. My question is basically is the lighting in the Rio decent enough to use with medium difficulty plants and co2? I have a tendency to get carried away and I don’t want to go down the ultra expensive route if I don’t need to. I also get totally lost with all the par stuff and would like to grasp the basics of a heavily planted tank and co2 without needing to be an expert in the mind twisting mathematics I keep seeing. I will be pulling the filter out of the Rio if I get that and using an external etc

I basically want a sensible option for a nice high (ish) tech planted tank . Any help would be hugely appreciated
Many thanks
Amy

All depends on what you want from a “high tech” aquarium.
If you want a nice looking planted tank then this can be achieved in numerous ways. It doesn’t have to be “high tech”

The lights on the jewel Rio will no doubt grow plants. Adding co2 will be a benefit to any tank and provided it’s stable, then it won’t cause ill effect.

Geordie scaper has a Rio with simple planting and hardscape, that I think is quite effective as an easy to achieve aquarium that anyone could be happy with.

Around 14:53

All depends on what you want from a “high tech” aquarium.
If you want a nice looking planted tank then this can be achieved in numerous ways. It doesn’t have to be “high tech”

The lights on the jewel Rio will no doubt grow plants. Adding co2 will be a benefit to any tank and provided it’s stable, then it won’t cause ill effect.

Geordie scaper has a Rio with simple planting and hardscape, that I think is quite effective as an easy to achieve aquarium that anyone could be happy with.

Around 14:53

This is great thanks so much, that’s pretty much what I meant, co2 and plants without going too high tech. I’ll have a proper look at the video, thanks for the reply

This is great thanks so much, that’s pretty much what I meant, co2 and plants without going too high tech. I’ll have a proper look at the video, thanks for the reply
My pleasure.
Also look at Oase Styline, Waterbox Eden. Both tanks come with a stand and lid, the former has a light and filter with it, the latter is cheaper, but you only get the tank and stand, meaning you can then choose your own equipment.

Me personally if I was starting out, I’d look at as many tanks as I could and find one that I really liked, then just try to recreate it at home.

My pleasure.
Also look at Oase Styline, Waterbox Eden. Both tanks come with a stand and lid, the former has a light and filter with it, the latter is cheaper, but you only get the tank and stand, meaning you can then choose your own equipment.

Me personally if I was starting out, I’d look at as many tanks as I could and find one that I really liked, then just try to recreate it at home.
I love the oase stuff. Gonna have to Google the others. I think my issue is I’m scared the lights on a standard set won’t be enough. I think I’m overthinking it….gonna have a look at water box Eden. Thanks so much for the input it’s actually helped a lot

Back