• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stainless steel

Rodgie

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering about this idea that I saw in YouTube. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that tropica used a stainless steel on one of their aquascapes with moss wall.

Isn't SS mesh gonna release the bad chemicals for fish eventually sometime?

I've been thinking of creating a moss wall on my next project and I was surprise some people used SS.

Let me know guys what you think, I'm hesitant to go to that path but if someone can assure me (after long years of the mesh being in the tank) that it won't ever leach out chemicals, then I might give it a go.

Thank you,
Rodgie

Last edited:
Stainless steel is made by mixing Iron with small amounts of Carbon. Why would there be a problem?

Cheers,

Hi Ceg,

I appreciate your response here. I asked because I got confuse from other forums saying that other grade of stainless steel might still get rusty in the future because they're not real or something. And I kept hearing the term 316 SS is the best. And I noticed there are a lot of them online like 304 and other grades.

So I guess it's safe to use even if it stays for like years in the tank.

Thank you,
Rodgie

Rodgie

50 Grades of Stainless Steel
http://www.bssa.org.uk/50-grades-of-stainless-steel.php

I think this will surprise many people including me. I knew it was graded but not that many.

Going back to your question it would depend on the grade as an aquarium tank has many chemicals in it.

Keith:wave::wave:

Wow thank you for that link Keith!

I think grade 304 and 316 are safe for fish tanks.

Thank you,
Rodgie

Stainless steel is made to rust much slower compared to normal steel (it's in the name;)). Even filters are made from it (ADA) or filter in and outlets etc. It will rust eventually but unless you use salt water, this will be so extremely slow, it doesn't matter. And even if it did get rusty fast. Rust is just ironoxide. You add iron and oxide to your tank in much larger amounts than (insoluble) ironoxide. In the old days, people even added iron nails deep in the substrate to add iron to the aquarium. So don't worry about it!

Stainless steel is made by mixing Iron with small amounts of Carbon. Why would there be a problem?

Cheers,
You forgot the the chrome and nickel ;)

The reason stainless doesn't rust is down to the chrome content. When chrome "rusts" it forms a very hard and non reactive chromium oxide layer. It's this property that protects the steel against rusting. The higher the chrome content the more resistant to rusting the stainless steel is.
316 stainless is what's known as 18/10 as it contains 18% chromium and 10% nickel.
There are many different alloys that are called stainless/corrosion resistant steel. The exact make up of each alloy will depend on its desired properties: strength, weight, corrosion resistance, temperature resistance, machinability, weldability, castability, etc.

Thank you guys for those input!

I think I'm set I'll get myself a 316 grade SS mesh and make it my moss wall. I like getting answers from this forum because I get explanations from knowledgeable people

Good day everyone.

Rodgie

Many go into a Hardware store and see Stainless Steel products but have no idea of the grades. If I ever wanted a high grade of Stainless Steel I would go to the local Marine Store.

Keith:wave::wave:

Hi Ceg,

I appreciate your response here. I asked because I got confuse from other forums saying that other grade of stainless steel might still get rusty in the future because they're not real or something. And I kept hearing the term 316 SS is the best. And I noticed there are a lot of them online like 304 and other grades.

So I guess it's safe to use even if it stays for like years in the tank.

Thank you,
Rodgie

Sorry but I had to laugh there.... who said there are stainless versions of stainless steel again? :woot: Isn't that then just steel??

304 should be fine either way.... food grade IIRC? All I know is I used it on my Astra turbo intercooler pipes and it was mint throughout.

Lol. I got so confuse from other forums informations that other lower grade(maybe that's the term) stainless steel have lesser mixture of ingredients that can avoid corrosion or rusting. Anyways o know now that 304 or 316 is best.

Back