• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

staghorn algae

tonyg1

after keeping fish for quite a few years i never encountered staghorn algae until i started using ferts and c02.Is there any specific reason that the combination of the two should cause a problem that never existed before any enrichment was introduced?.i do frequent water changes around 12.5 percent most days coupled with the weekly 50% replacing ferts in accordance with ei,my drop checker is green to yellow lights on at 2pm and off at 10pm and c02 an hour earlier either way.

My filtration is fine,eheim 2075 and a eheiem circulation pump for a dupla c02 reactor,flow is good probably a little too good.c02 and flow are the main culprets for algae and there are no problems eithger way.just a bit nonplussed as to why I have it.I am using algexit to try and help bu it do'nt seem to be working.

Hi Tonyg1,
i had a problem with staghorn algae, my dc was lime green, filter maintenence weekly and water changes weekly. However following some good advice i carried out a week of every other day 40% water changes and dosed daily flourish excel. Within a week the staghorn was gone, i continued for another week of 2x weekly 40% water changes and every day dosing of excel just to make sure. After about a week of 1x weekly 40% water changes and no excel (my normal routine) the staghorn showed a minimal return but was soon gone as i increased my ferts and this i think did the trick. It is suggested that staghorn is maintenence and or c02 related but from my experience it was also due to a balance within the tank as once i had increased my ferts, the plants started growing more vigorously and the staghorn hasnt returned.
I would suggest from my experience that a week of every other day 40% water changes and using flourish excel will rid you of the staghorn algae. Then its just a case of balancing your lighting, c02 and ferts. You are happy with your filtration/circulation and C02 so maybe increase your ferts and see if this staves off the staghorn.
Hope this helps.
Ady.

tonyg1 said:
My filtration is fine,eheim 2075 and a eheiem circulation pump for a dupla c02 reactor,flow is good probably a little too good.
c02 and flow
are the main culprets for algae and there are no problems eithger way.just a bit nonplussed as to why I have it.I am using algexit to try and help bu it do'nt seem to be working.

The answer lies within, End off there. :D

surly if you are doing daily water changes of 12.5% you are removing the ferts , as i understood you do 1 water change when using EI ferts but i may be wrong

thanks for the response guy's,flourish excell it is then and larger water changes.

freelanderuk said:
surly if you are doing daily water changes of 12.5% you are removing the ferts , as i understood you do 1 water change when using EI ferts but i may be wrong

this is true but i replenish the ferts that get taken out with the respective dose due on the day.

Back