• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Springtails as live food for fish

parotet

Hi all

I've seen this video about breeding springtails for feeding fish, in that case for feeding Nannostomus fry.

Looks easy (nothing to do but keep the container wet), clean (much more than having worms or vinegar eels), fish seem to love them and a small plastic container can give me much more food than needed...
Any experience?

Jordi

Should be easy to get a starter as alot of dartfrog keeper's seed their vivariums with them

I used to get these by the thousand in my whiteworm cultures they are a great food for livebearers, and all surface feeders . if I mind right I fed the cultures on moist bread at that time Joe.

In the video it is explained that there is no need to do something special. The plastic container has some gardening substrate and pieces of bark. It needs some humidity and vent, but nothing more. In some other spanish videos I have seen folks adding some fish flakes.

jordi

As mentioned, springtails are cultivated by dart frog keepers. I did it too when I kept darts, really simply, some kind of moist substrate, ventilation when you occasionally open the box, and basically you can feed them with anything, just not too much or you get fungus. Fish flake is probably the easiest for most of us here. Dart frog keepers use a special vitamin enriched food to gutload the springtails before feeding them to the frogs. For feeding fish it would be excellent too, but probably only for fish that have some kind of orientation towards the surface in relation to food seeking (most have I guess).

Thomas

Hi all,
I used to get these by the thousand in my whiteworm cultures they are a great food for livebearers, and all surface feeders . if I mind right I fed the cultures on moist bread at that time Joe.
Same as Joe really, I always have some in the Grindal Worm cultures, and they are good for small surface orientated fry.

cheers Darrel

Back