• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spring in Oakley Woods.

Steve Smith

Went out for a long bike ride with my flat mate on Friday and stopped at a small patch of woodland to take some photographs. A beautiful place full of mostly what looked like redwood style trees :) Thought I'd share some of the photos. Please click for a larger high res image!

Sun lit spring leaves:
4531335594_03af02070a.jpg

Coloured tree trunks:
4531336230_e000bbd0fd.jpg

Clover gathers at the base of this tree:
4531336642_dafb65f98e.jpg

Dappled Sunlight hitting the trees:
4530702271_7cd0671bd1.jpg

Bluebells on the cusp of opening:
4530701739_5beb5324f1.jpg

My personal favourite; a moss, fern and clover covered log:
4531333990_35e4e20191.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Looking good Stevo! Don't you just love this time of year! Everywhere looks great! Hurray for Spring!

Becca

Hi all,
Darrel, is Sorrel a herb or am I thinking of something else?
Yes, real Sorrel (and the posher "French Sorrel") is a herb, Rumex acetosella, the leaf tastes of vinegar because of the acetic acid it contains, as does the leaf of "Wood Sorrel" Oxalis acetosella. Try them they are quite sharp.

Wood Sorrel is an indicator of "Ancient Woodlands", and has a lovely white flower.
http://www.backonthemap.org.uk/theproject/analysis/species.htm.

DIMG291_693.jpg

cheers Darrel

Yep, pretty sure you're on the money with that Darrel. They were starting to produce little white flowers just like pictured above. There weren't many out when I was there, but I'm thinking of trying to get back there next weekend.

George Farmer said:
Brilliant mate!

Love the lighting in the 3rd shot.

Thanks mate :) I have to admit to some photoshopping to bring out the best in them, as I struggled with lighting a little.

I'm really impressed by the very natural contrasts and colors in the shot. Not overly boosted like some postcard. Sorry for staring at them too long :lol:

Back