• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Spray bar and pipe paint

SRP3006

Anybody know or used a fish/shrimp safe paint for painting my fx6s pvc-u spray bar?
It's grey pipe but I'm thinking it would be hidden better if it was black.

PVC contains plastifiers, this is the major problem maker for durably painting it. I general a painter will say for paiting PVC that is situated outdoors, which is the most common question, to wait at least 1 year if it is new PVC. Than after cleaning you still need a primer for plastic first than paint it. With the correct primer the finish will never realy be the problem.

In your case i wouldn't go through the hassle painting it. Google for black Heat Shrink Tube in the correct diameter. Shrink that over the tube and cut/dril open the holes again. It will be permanently black after that and willl never damage.

Than if you still have a piece of grey end cap showing, use a black permanent marker for that.

If you insist on painting, i guess a black bumber spray from the automotive industry is a good option. Most modern car bumpers are PVC. Once the paint is fully cured it most likely will be inert.

Last edited:
PVC contains plastifiers, this is the major problem maker for durably painting it. I general a painter will say for paiting PVC that is situated outdoors, which is the most common question, to wait at least 1 year if it is new PVC. Than after cleaning you still need a primer for plastic first than paint it. With the correct primer the finish will never realy be the problem.

In your case i wouldn't go through the hassle painting it. Google for black Heat Shrink Tube in the correct diameter. Shrink that over the tube and cut/dril open the holes again. It will be permanently black after that and willl never damage.

Than if you still have a piece of grey end cap showing, use a black permanent marker for that.

If you insist on painting, i guess a black bumber spray from the automotive industry is a good option. Most modern car bumpers are PVC. Once the paint is fully cured it most likely will be inert.
Thank you that's a really good suggestion. I have used shrink tubing on my fishing rods for years and stands up to a lot of abuse (weather, bait, fish etc) so that could be the perfect solution. Do you know if algae would go on it/become a problem as scrubbing shrink tubing has never worked in my experience.

Doesn't hurt to try it, easier to remove shrink tube than paint

Back