• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sponge stuck in lily pipe!

Tom Michael

Okay, yes I am an idiot and don’t ask why I got a small piece of sponge stuck down there, but how can I get this out or is it a lost cause!
7F76F963-23E1-494B-A3EC-EC7ADF2D4EE9.jpeg

Maybe poke with a wire with a hoop on the end. Thin guage coat hanger, so as not to crack. Jet of water if you pack some tissue behind? You can by flexible access tools, but guess you need it out now.

That's a good one!

Maybe turn it upside down, pour some water/ olive oil in the long end and blow into it? Perhaps cover the other end or flick your thumb off and on. My only thinking is that hydraulic action might work if you can't find/make a tool.

A piece of airline tubing should get it out, also second a good blow.

Maybe poke with a wire with a hoop on the end. Thin guage coat hanger, so as not to crack. Jet of water if you pack some tissue behind? You can by flexible access tools, but guess you need it out now.
I tried the wire/hook combo, which led to pushing it further in!
it’s not urgent as I reverted to the original plastic intake. I might try more pressure, I have a pressure washer, but I think the issue is the intake slits are so small

Why do the slits make a difference, Tom?
Sorry my explanation isn’t clear- it’s a lily intake so I need to either push from the side with the slits or find a way to pull/hook from the shorter side

Why do the slits make a difference, Tom?

It needs to be pushed from the end with the slits, if you push it further the other way it is going to come to the sealed end and would be a nightmare trying to pick bits out through the tiny slits of the intake.

Gotcha, I didn't realise that end was completely sealed, it sounds like poor design. Are they sealed with a glass cap as per the rest of it?

This is getting everyone thinking!
superglue on the end of some wire, push up inside the sponge and leave over night for the glue to set?
Good luck.

Straighten a fishing hook and tape it to a pipe cleaner. Insert it into the sponge so the barb catches, then slowly remove.

But.. since you can only access it from one end you are never going to be able to clean out all that other gunk... 😅 i assume that was what you were trying to do in the first place 😂

Back