• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

spirogyra? Driving me crazy.

Some have access to soil, insofar as any roots could reach it if they wanted. Curious as to why you think this may help?
From your photo, the tank is beautiful. Everything is thriving except this epiphyte. It wouldn't have the algae if it had everything it needed to grow. There is a weakness. It doesn't have roots in substrate, so it is only getting nutrition from the column. It can't get something. Dunno what it needs. The roots and soil would provide it to top itself off if needed. Do the ones that have roots in substrate have less algae?

GH is around 5 and KH 1 using RO water remineralised with MgSO4, KHCO3 and CaSO4.

In this case, if it were me, assuming your KHCO3 gives at least 15 ish K, I'd simply drop N to APT complete targets ~ 6NO3 and ~3PO4 ... basically, a 1/3 EI for N, and keep the PO4 high. At the same time, feed a little bit more to fish to get some more urea and ammonia into the system. Keep the lights as is.

If you had high GH, I'd suggest doubling your EI and watching.

Please don't misinterpret this -- lowering your light and nuking the algae in a dip will work. But you may experience longer internodes on other plants, some may get leggy, and leaf size may increase - coloration may also change. There would be no need to reduce your fertilizer with your light - it will become the same situation by staying non-limiting so just pour it in to safeguard the system.

All of this may not happen to a noticeable degree to a passerbyer, but you will notice --> based on your photo the tank is svelte.

From your photo, the tank is beautiful. Everything is thriving except this epiphyte. It wouldn't have the algae if it had everything it needed to grow. There is a weakness. It doesn't have roots in substrate, so it is only getting nutrition from the column. It can't get something. Dunno what it needs. The roots and soil would provide it to top itself off if needed. Do the ones that have roots in substrate have less algae?

All plants are doing very well including all buce, the spirogyra is not limited to the buce only, it is on a few random plants.

CO2 I am hoping is over the 30ppm mark based on my drop checker and PH, but all livestock seem happy and acting normal
Hi @Nick potts

There are two aspects to toxicity - acute and chronic. The first of these is short-term, the second being long-term. Dealing first with shrimp, there is a very informative article here:

And the CO2 risks to fish are covered here on UKAPS. Just search for fish and CO2 in the Search box, which is at the top right-hand corner of your screen.

May I ask how long your tank has been running with fish and shrimp? And, forgive me for asking, but why are you so keen to have CO2 "over the 30 ppm mark"?

JPC

Hi @Nick potts

There are two aspects to toxicity - acute and chronic. The first of these is short-term, the second being long-term. Dealing first with shrimp, there is a very informative article here:

And the CO2 risks to fish are covered here on UKAPS. Just search for fish and CO2 in the Search box, which is at the top right-hand corner of your screen.

May I ask how long your tank has been running with fish and shrimp? And, forgive me for asking, but why are you so keen to have CO2 "over the 30 ppm mark"?

JPC
Thanks JPC

I think the tank has been running since June/July time with livestock added after cycling.

The reason for the high CO2 is I hadn't noticed any adverse effects to livestock and I would rather be over than under as plants where/are my main priority in this tank.

Back