• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spio Diffuser

No you don't have to fill it with water, generally they just end up with water in them anyway but you don't NEED water in there. They are pretty good diffusers.

mike_low3 said:
Hi There,
I've a quick question on this type of glass diffusser, do you need to add water to the diffuser to get it to work correctly ? It's just I currently have an atomiser in my tank and it require's to be 3/4 full of water.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250392325667&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Mike

Here is an S8 in action
DSCN3425.jpg

Over a 24 hrs period it self fills itself

Larger in overhaul length and bought form here;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spio-VIII-CO2-Dif ... 3a4fb700a3

Regards
Paul.

After looking at your picture, it made me think about my setup, I have my current diffuser just next to my eheim inlet, I would say about half the CO2 being produced is being sucked in, the other half moving up to the surface, I'm noticing terrific plant growth on that half of the tank but not on the other side so I'm thinking the CO2 is not travelling that far.

What's your view on the CO2 travelling through the eheim, do you output via a spraybar, do you have any problems with CO2 build up in the filter ?

mike_low3 said:
After looking at your picture, it made me think about my setup, I have my current diffuser just next to my eheim inlet, I would say about half the CO2 being produced is being sucked in, the other half moving up to the surface, I'm noticing terrific plant growth on that half of the tank but not on the other side so I'm thinking the CO2 is not travelling that far.

What's your view on the CO2 travelling through the eheim, do you output via a spraybar, do you have any problems with CO2 build up in the filter ?

Mike

Prior to using the diffuser I was using an AM 1000 reactor which mixed the gas with the returning water from the filter - which was ok but I ended up with a tank full of tiny bubbles, the main reason for the change of distrubtion was that the reactor slowed by returning flow by 157 lph. Now with the diffuser fitted and positioned underneath one of the intake pipes all the gas (now tiny bubbles) get drawn into the filter and mixed and return into the tank via a glass lily pipe - if you look at the picture and look through the tank to the far end you will see the lily pipe. I believe that my gas is being mixed better, the only issue I have is that after a water change the filter unit coughs as I get a mass of tiny bubbles after every cough this could be air in the system or a build up of Co2 gas - this only lasts a couple of hours as I know of ! the following day no coughing - hope this helps you in making a decision to try the above method.

Regards
paul.

I've adjusted my eheim inlet and have the diffuser underneath it now, I've noticed in the two days I've been running like this that I've had to turn down the CO2 flow, so I must be getting better CO2 saturation in the returning water, my drop checker is a good lime green. I am getting the occasional cough from the filter but it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Back