• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Specimen Plant

I had echinodorus red flame I believe it was called. Really nice in the correct location. Tiger lotus are good if trained well. To be fair a lot of the echinodorus are great as specimen plants in the right sized tank. A lot of stem plants can be used as a specimen plants if used correctly.

Bridgo.

Colourful and striking specimen stem plant would be pretty much any of the alternanthera's as they aren't too difficult compared to some others.

Bridgo.

Just make sure you are prepared for the size of some echinodorus as they can easily take over the small space most people (myself included) give them.

Give them plenty of space and time and they will reward you with a great specimen.

Bridgo.

I do agree with Dean that most echinodorus couldn't be considered striking on their own but can become a centerpiece if used correctly.

The trigon is a corner tank I think so you could have a big green sword in the middle with alternanthera reineckii planted behind like one of those ADA sunrise type scapes.
You could even have a dark cryptocoryne around the sword accentuating the green which would become shadowed by the sword leaves providing the perfect environment for crypt.

Aponogeton crispus red is a striking plant though.

Bridgo.

Try google for Echinodorus horemannii 'red' or Echinodorus 'Red Diamond'........... those should prove, that Echino's can easily be "specimen plants" ;)

Back