• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spathiphyllum

Nont

Hi there,

I just bought Spathiphyllum and Syngonium from aquatic plant nursery. And yes, before anyone say anything, this nursery sell houseplant as aquatic plant :rolleyes: bought it because it’s cheaper than garden center…

I would like to know if these plants can be kept in a pot without a drainage hole with aquasoil substrate or in a terrarium condition?

Cheers,
Non

Spathyphyllum does well with it's roots in water but I'd be worried about a lack of flow around the roots in a pot without drainage holes making the substrate stagnate and become anaerobic. I have anthurium growing with its roots in my tanks but even in the bog section of my arium, I've got slight flow. Basically, I think it'd be OK for the short term but I'n not be confident longer term...

I have a couple of both those species and they can survive in just water without soil pretty well. I stripped a tank about two years ago and still haven't got round to finding a home for all the emersed plants. The peace lily does better than the syngonium, which hangs in there but hasn't thrived, but both did far far better in an aquarium with flowing water. They aren't in soil which I think is the key to keeping them going as they are wet but it isn't stagnant, its essentially just a bucket of water. I think growing them in the hob would be a good idea but be aware both of these are very rampant growers when conditions favour them and they will probably need some pruning to stop them taking over.

Back