• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sparkling gourami's and shrimp?

Kristoph91

Hi guys,

Saw two lovely sparkling/croaking gourami's today in the LFS and at 3 pound each didn't think they were a bad price.. just wondering though - would they be ok with my RCS ?
thanks,
Kris

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Hi guys,

Saw two lovely sparkling/croaking gourami's today in the LFS and at 3 pound each didn't think they were a bad price.. just wondering though - would they be ok with my RCS ?
thanks,
Kris

I reckon they would be, though thats not from experience and I stand to be shot down in flames. However I am basing it on the fact that sparkling gouramies are meant to be good natured, and the fact that Mark Evans, who has shrimp in his tank, has got some larger Opaline gouramies and I have never heard him say they were munching the shrimp. I think Alastair has kept the ones you like though, so he may be the one to ask. He is busy with a house move so I dont know how much he is watching the forum at the moment but I am sure he would answer a PM when he got the chance, if no one else can give you a definitive answer.

What store was it out of interest ? Stunning fish :)

Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated.
Think I'll go get them tomorrow then, based on what you guys are saying. :)
There is three of them in Viking Aquatics in Ipswich.
To buy or not to buy? I'd like a male/female pair, but I believe they're quite hard to sex.

Kris

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated.
Think I'll go get them tomorrow then, based on what you guys are saying. :)
There is three of them in Viking Aquatics in Ipswich.
To buy or not to buy? I'd like a male/female pair, but I believe they're quite hard to sex.

Kris

At that price I would bite their hand off !

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Does that mean "yes get them"... Or. "never pay that much for them" Antipofish?
LOL :lol:

Kris

Biting someones hand off for a price means you take it lol. Its a great price. If you dont get them I may call them tomorrow and ask if they will ship them hahah. (Just kidding, but if they were nearer I might be racing you to the shop).

i have sparkling gourami. Over a 6 month period they have slowly but steadily decimated my blue pearl colony. I have 8 or 9 (i forget) and will happily sell the lot for a tenner.

Westyggx said:
There mouths are so small they may only eat baby shrimp.
When I had mine 2 or 3 would work together and take out adult cherries.

Those tiny wee beautiful critters are violent mass murderers ? I would never have believed it. Sounds like they are not as nice after all.

I've got 4 in my tank and a number of RCS of various sizes and haven't seen any problems so far (been in there a month or so). I'm finding the sparkling gourami are really interesting fish, quite small and largely keep themselves to themselves but completely different to anything else I've got. I think I managed to pick them up for a couple of quid each at my LFS

Just bought 2 of these as the LFS said they were fine with shrimps , if there not they will be getting bagged up and off loaded !

I never bought them in the end. But good luck with them!
Recently though, I purchased a pair of Rachovii Beira Killis... And the male literally massacred the shrimplets in my tank. Oops.

Kris.

Back