• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sound proof cabinet

I have the same problem, the Oase filter itself is quiet. The problem is that the cabinet is resonating at the same frequency as the filter. The cabinet acts like a body of a quitar.
The noise itself is not that loud, but if I would have more cabinets it could become an issue.

This is old but still actual topic. I don't know why but seems filter manufacturers don't care a bit about vibrations of their pumps. Most of the filters uses the same concept with magnetic impeller and of course this causes vibrations to the head which is very, very hard to dampen. For example I have Ultramax 1500 and I can sound proof impeller screaming noises if present, but no way to dampen low frequency hum from the unit. If placed into a cabinet, this amplify the hum multiple times cause low frequencies scattered over the room and I can hear it even upstairs on several places which makes me nuts. I've put it on a foam but vibrations from head are transferred into a cabinet even though there is no direct contact with the walls. Not sure if there is material which is thick enough to dampen this noise and can fit into 80x40 cabinet. Outside it feels more quiet because the hum is not that strong. I guess I will need to drill holes into my 40cm wall and put it outside the living room to get total silence.

Manufacturers should put more attention to eliminate vibration from the pump itself. I can't understand there are not many complaints on this topic and everywhere I read how the filter is silent. Even "dead" silent in some cases. Well, those people must be completely deaf or ignorant. If I look at videos on youtube every single filter on video is producing hum and most are around 40 - 50 dB which is definitely not silent!

Vibrations are a hard thing to mitigate. They face exactly the same problem in the speaker market - sound vibrations ruining the quality of music as they transmit to floors. What works well is some rubber balls. It doesn't matter whether you spend £20k on a speaker, you still need cheap rubber balls because they are the best.
1691706044417.png

Relating to sound waves, many of the best acoustic boxes tend to be dense materials in composition [cement board-mineral wool-MDF] (double-skinned), with no air gaps to allow sound waves to penetrate.
I have had a go at making both acoustic boxes and vibrations dampeners on other projects. I found out recently that I might prefer silence because I am highly autistic, so it's not uncommon to want silence.
I think it would be worth writing to a few pump manufacturers and suggesting that they introduce vibration dampers to fit their existing models. I imagine vibration dampers are very easy to manufacture; like an egg cup. I don't think they should go down the acoustic box route because those products would be really niche and better suited to DIY fabrication due to the high manufacture costs.

Last edited:
Back