• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Something’s wrong with my clown loach

hypnogogia

UKAPS Team
One of my clown loaches has had a fairly rapid weight loss and look pretty skeletal. See photo below. He’s still got a good appetite and comes to take food from the surface with all the other fish, including the other clown loach I have. His colour is good and there are no obvious marks on his body. He’s one of the oldest inhabitants, since the beginning of this tank in 7 years ago. What could be wrong with him?

IMG_0022.jpeg

Hi @hypnogogia, This sounds consistent with nematode infestation. Did you recently add livestock or plants perhaps, live food? I believe there are possible cures, but I do not know any details. Let's see what others around here thinks.

These guys can get really old btw.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hello - can you provide a few pictures of the tank and some information on the filter and the media, please?

The razor-like back would symbolise some form of wasting disease but would like to hear more about the environment.

I filter over foam and K1 media only, using an Oase Biomaster 600. I introduced a new plant this week, but the problem has been occurring for longer. My conditions in terms of water parameters and temperature are very consistent. I do a WC weekly, changing 50-60% using remineralised rainwater thats been filtered over carbon and UV for 24 hrs. I can provide more tank photos tomorrow when the lights are on again.

OK - please provide as much detail as possible.

If a moderator can post the link to the "minimum information required list, that would be great. (I cannot find it - sorry!)

Give esha ndx a go, it’s very effective against nematodes. Wasting is common in newly imported loaches but surprised to see you have had this fish for a long time.

How big is the fish? It seems to be very small for a 7 year old clown loach.

Agreed, those guys are usually over 6 inches by that age!

Give esha ndx a go, it’s very effective against nematodes. Wasting is common in newly imported loaches but surprised to see you have had this fish for a long time.

How big is the fish? It seems to be very small for a 7 year old clown loach.
I'd say it's about 4 inches head to tail.

Thank you, I'd researched esha nix as an alternative and have ordered some. I assume recovery will be quite slow, but we will see.

I'd say it's about 4 inches head to tail.

Thank you, I'd researched esha nix as an alternative and have ordered some. I assume recovery will be quite slow, but we will see.
Strange that it’s so small for that age, they’re not the fastest growing fish but I’d expect it to be a fair bit bigger.

If it is internal nematodes ndx will be very effective and you should start to see the fish put on weight pretty quickly.

I had a bunch of clown loaches for around 8 years. The last year one of them become similar and died within a few weeks last year.
And naturally the other loaches will nip and eat it up. So perhaps best to pop into another tank in dose medication. Good luck with them 🙂

I’ve now treated with Esha NDX for 24 hours, as instructed on the label and then carried out my weekly 50% water change. How long before I know if the treatment has worked?

I treated 1.5 weeks ago. Should I be able to see any weight gain by now if the treatment has worked? It’s still looking emaciated.

Back