• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Somethings feels wrong

jbirley

So i have been faffing about back and forward over the last week, but i just cant get my hardscape to where i'm 100% happy, when i look at it something just feels a bit off about it. Any thoughts?

DSC_0510-1.jpg

On a side note, its about 1" deep in the front and 4-5" in the back, is 5" of substrate going to cause me problems?

Can it be this path which is right smack in the middle? Slant it a bit may be.
bfdb9ee131ffd031c48c8885bc7bc678.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The main root cannot be moved, maybe a little to the rivht. But, looking a few times to the picture, I think the rocks may change everything if you put them together close to the roots. So, you mai have a main group in the left side and a small one in the right side. Then you can also work on the path, pushing the substrate from the back to the front but also to the sides.

yeah i have just redone it very similar to that, i have moved the main root so that bulk of it is 1/3 the way across the tank and made a larger island on that side with all of the wood coming out of it. Just refilled now will update with pictures when the dust settles. :)

its dennerle scapers soil, but the tank has nothing in it, its just started to cycle so im not fussed about disturbing it.

I think it's a very nice piece of wood.

You could saw a little piece off where the red dot is. I know it has a nice angle but the golden ratio is also nice so you could move it more to the right.

scape.png

image upload

Combine rocks and wood more together. For example the piece on the right stones could be easily placed under the wood.

The little stone in center doesn't fit.

faffed about this the scape most of the day, pretty happy with how it is now, i think once there are some nice bg crypts filling in the back it will look good.
Its hard to tell straight on but the left hand side is actually much further back than the right.
DSC_0514-1.jpg

A bit more visible from the side.
DSC_0516.jpg

faffed about this the scape most of the day, pretty happy with how it is now, i think once there are some nice bg crypts filling in the back it will look good.
Its hard to tell straight on but the left hand side is actually much further back than the right.
DSC_0514-1.jpg

A bit more visible from the side.
DSC_0516.jpg

scape_2.png

Red dots a stone would fit there nice
Green dot the piece looks not natural in it's current position.

Maybe put the stones somewhat closer to the wood to link it more together.

definitely an improvement.

Keep on scaping :)

I agree with Nigel. Stones should "grow" from the substrate and touch the wood. This will also help when you will plant it, especialy if you will use Anubias or Bucephalandra ...

Do you have a plant list?

Depending on plants, most of your rock surface may disappear behind growth - though it's always difficult to judge actual rock heights from photos as the camera tends to flatten the image

If you look at Luis Cardosa Roots - ADA 45P
in this scape the wood is much like tree roots growing out over rock, but you can also see many instances (underwater) of fallen trees with roots lifting (far) above rocks/substrate, so it's really just what you imagine in your tank

In some ways, I prefer aspects of the original scape - though agree the path was too central

OTOH plant growth tends to obscure much of the initial hardscape & I've seen tank journals where the initial hardscape seemed lacking or "wrong" but extraordinary & "just right" once tank had grown in
:)

There is a full plant list on my journal i'm running for the tank . Mostly though its crypts and some Anubis. the rocks raise about 2-3" up and form sort of a cliff with the front being lower. I also preferred the path however there was no real way for me to shift it further to the right without having to take a hammer to the rocks to make some smaller chunks. I intend to fill behind the rocks with various crypts with some smaller varieties in amongst the rocks. The anubias will basically were nigel put the red dot in his last post. I had it set up like this on a tank a few years ago and i really liked the look of it (see pic of old tank)
DSC_0005.jpg

I'm aiming to recreate a similar feel to my old tank but my current tank is a 50L scapers which is about 50% the size of my last setup.

Nice view! I understand your target!
One more reason to put the rocks close to the roots and to create two focal points : a major one, on the left and a minor one, on the right.

Changed the scape around to make just one group, most of the plants came today, minus some small crypt and the Anubias for the focal point. All tissue culture plants so pretty small right now, hoping it will grow in quickly though.
DSC_0583_1.jpg

Back