• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

something bigger, now a riparium

Congrats on the engagement and the new tank! The Elos 75P sounds like an awesome upgrade. For the filtration, I'd suggest using the Super Jet Clone as your main filter and pairing it with either the Oase Bio 350 or the Biomaster 350. If you're worried about too much flow, you can dial back the Super Jet Clone and use the Oase Bio 350 for extra filtration without overdoing it.

Congrats on the engagement and the new tank! The Elos 75P sounds like an awesome upgrade. For the filtration, I'd suggest using the Super Jet Clone as your main filter and pairing it with either the Oase Bio 350 or the Biomaster 350. If you're worried about too much flow, you can dial back the Super Jet Clone and use the Oase Bio 350 for extra filtration without overdoing it.
Thanks, @Marcivalt . The tank pictured on the previous pages is a WaterBox 3620. When I picked up the Elos I hadn't (stupid) noticed the scratches on it. Ended up selling locally and picking up the WB. I ended up running the SJ and a DC loop for awhile, but didn't find it to be completely necessary. Just ended up going back to only the SJ and running it at 100%. It's worked well. Tank, however, has been better, which leads into my next update...

So, it's been a semi-difficult summer. Between moving (finally completely unpacked...I think?), traveling, and weather events (tornadoes in PA?) the tank has seen some better days. Early on after the move I was having issues with CO2. Some of which was my fault, some not. In short, I went a few weeks without CO2 because I forgot to re-open the tank, and w the craziness, I didn't notice it. Shortly after I was doing some water changes and realized my tap water pH is suuuuuuper low. Low enough that my pH controller didn't reach the low end of where it needed to be for sufficient saturation (4.7!). So CO2 was not running, then running but at 1/2 speed, and then the temps hit. We don't have AC on the main floor, just the second floor. It keeps the main floor sufficiently comfy, but on really hot days/weeks (that seem to be getting more and more common..) the tank was taking a hit. When we were in MT, I got a notification from the hydros that the tank was at 86 degrees. Lost a bunch (most) of fish, most of the growth on buces, and stems were growing but not thrilled. Somehow, despite all of it, and not being present for 1/2 the summer, it has shown some serious resilience. I definitely have a slight filamentous algae issue w/ epiphytes and slow growers, as well as some patches of staghorn (my nemesis). Temp has stabilized, CO2 has stabilized, etc., but it is still hanging around despite two glut spot treatments per week and a 3 day blackout.

So, between the algae issues (which are honestly completely under control, just frustrating) and getting somewhat bored with the scape, I've decided it's getting an overhaul. School has started back and my time at home has and will increase dramatically, so I find myself back at the tank and needing something new. Thought about going to a prototypical nature scape because trimming stems becomes exhausting, but I don't really want to drop a ton of money on new hardscape and what not as I have other things coming up this year I'd be better saving for. I also just wanted to do something completely new, but without a ton of maintenance. SO, as of this weekend, I am permanently rehoming the remaining 8 fish with a local hobbyist. I don't think they'll work well with my next project. This weekend I am going to remove all the hardscape and give it a clean, plant epiphytes in the sub, and absolutely blast CO2 for a few weeks to rid myself of this staghorn. By the end of the month, staghorn or no staghorn, I am going to convert the system to a paludarium. I've never done one, but plan to use that DC pump in the corner w/ two outlets for waterfalls. Going to repurpose the hardscape and section off an emersed bed w the current aquasoil. La Plata sand in the front. Going to try to convert all epiphytes back to emersed growth other than maybe anubias, ferns, and crypts below the water line. Local store has a ton of terrestrial plants so will stock up on some, but likely going to see how my collection of stems does converting back to emersed growth. I'm going to build the structure and situate the schematics before hand so I'll show some photos as I work along. Ideally will throw about 30 chilis in the aquatic portion w/ some RCS.

Big question for anyone who has done this: How easily will the buce and rotala convert back to emersed? Thought about putting a misting system on it since it will remain open top, but not sure it will be needed. Any suggestions for terrestrial or aquatic plants that are easy and or look great in a paludarium?

Edit: It's going to be a riparium. Did some more research and don't think I want to commit to all that Pal. requires.

Last edited:
Annnnd, here she is. Not completely what I had envisioned, but it turned out nicely and I’m excited to see it mature and do much less trimming. Still need to get some more sand - not quite enough for the crypts so they’re just kinda floating around right now. Probably will grab some more plants & planting baskets for above the water line. Ordered some but package was stolen from the porch. Luckily only $10 and whichever ahole probably wondered why he risked it for some plastic rectangles with suction cups. Staghorn and any hair algae seems to be retreating significantly. Much less organics and much more nutrient uptake w/ the riparian plants. Still running co2. /forum/attachments/img_8439-jpeg.222304/?hash=8c97b8d293c7d8f98fbe848604271ff1IMG_8435.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8439.jpeg
    IMG_8439.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
Back