• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some Where in the Rio Negro

jonnyuk

hi all, about 4 months ago decided to venture into biotope and decided on a rio n egro black water scape in a 15g (i broke down my previous planted tank), 2 pieces of wood,l ots of sticks, branches, botanicals, oak leave litter, substrate is mixture of fine sand, lilly plant substrate rinsed and rinsed some more, along with a little clay. there are some region specific plant life as well.
Echinodorus Tenellus
Cabomba aquatica
Cabomba Red
Myriophyllum hippuroide
Got a sword from last setup
and could reset putting in my large cyrpt

Filter is a fluval 307 turned down low, i also inject small amounts of CO2 for the plants.

Live stock consists of 6 gold tetra's, 6 Beckford pencil and a reverse trio of checkerboard (Dicrossus filamentosus, i actually think i have ended up with ones from a different river system which was not the intention). i started off with just 1m/f but the female checkerboard is very aggressive and chasing the male away to the back of the tank, i don't see any of the tell tale signs from the female that she is ready to breed, so i have added another male in the hope it reduces. time will tell.

My water params are not there yet, ph is to high (7), along with KH and GH ( i live in a hard water area and although the fish came from the same water i do want to lower everything), i have ordered some peat moss and i plan on running an experiment.
1 bucket with a 50/50 mix of RO and tap water
1 bucket with tap water and small filter full of peat

I have also just stumbled across the JBL Tormec, any thoughts on this. Pictures are taken a water change so its lost the slight tannin it did have. I'm also suffering from brown diatoms, not sure what is the trigger yet as i have 0 nitrates, current thinking is maybe silica from some part of my substrate or maybe its just the tank bedding in.

well not good news, went back to the tank to see the new male motionless, his fins are shredded so put him in a fish breeding holder in the tank, i would be surprised if he pulls through, keeps going on his side etc

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t4.jpg

Back