• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some of you guys have your tank so full of water...

Rob P

Just recent journals I've seen, Ian Holdich, Ady34 and plenty more of you, filled right to the top.

Surely if you put your hands in to trim/tinker etc you spill a load of water?!

Am I missing something? :)

Just recent journals I've seen, Ian Holdich, Ady34 and plenty more of you, filled right to the top.

Rob i bet they are just doing it so they can get some cool photo shots then they take some out again!Crafty:lol:

Man, I'm blessed with a trimmed tank at the minute which covers unevenness and water level lol, but my tank in the wings is rimless but don't fancy filling right to the very top! :D

Ha! Mine stays that high with water,the secret is, not to tinker.

Only because ian is blessed with tanks that grow perfectly lush right from the word go lol....... ;)
I swear he has sonething else mixed in with that co2

Only because ian is blessed with tanks that grow perfectly lush right from the word go lol....... ;)
I swear he has sonething else mixed in with that co2

Amphetamines.

Yeah you gotta be careful :)
however by day two from water change/topping up about a cm of water has already evaporated from my open top tank and deposited itself on my horrible conservatory windows (I hate conservatories), which if left over winter forms into lovely black mould which you only notice on the first sunny day of the year when you fully retract the conservatory window blinds to reveal where your evaporated fish tank water has ended up and what it has turned into, and then you spend half a day cleaning said fish tank water mould from your horrible conservatory windows.......
Rant over!.......
however after day two and the reduced water level I can safely stick my hands into the tank without the carpet getting wet, but I don't need to as I already trimmed my really slow growing plants at water change day, and because now I start to see a white mineral deposit as the water has evaporated I have to top it back up again......
Basically I top it up to minimise the mineral line, I don't stick my hands in too often as I run low light so don't need to trim regular......those high light guys would be in all sorts of bother though, they would have to tinker all the time and run that overflow risk......I'm sure after the first time of drying up the wet carpet listening to the shrieks from the other half and suffering the burning holes in the back of the head whilst they did it that they learned to just syphon a bit out first :)
Cheerio,

Wow, comprehensive explanation (rant) right there :D

Get a tank with a huge surface area, then the water level doesnt move as much when you put your arm in.

It does lol. My 4ft square if I put my hand in when full and moved it slightly it moved alot to the point water would go over the edge

In my large tank I never have had a problem as the lid covers the last but - however have just learned from (overflowing) experience :mad: with my new smaller tank - nearly managed to blow up the electrics in the process oops

Back